identification problem

Old August 13th 04, 04:02 PM
Daniele Gasparri

Default identification problem

Pierre Vandevennne wrote:
I captured the following images on the 11/08 at between 22:20 and 22:30 UT.

http://www.datarescue.be/camback/1.gif

this is a greatly reduced four frame animation made of 4 2 minutes exposure
made by a Canon 10D hooked to a 115/805 LZOS (ahem) refractor at a 20 secs
interval. The object passes right between 14 vul and M27. The width of the
field being approx 1.5 degrees it seems the object roughly travels at a
speed between 1.2 and 1.8 degrees per 10 minutes (mental note, check trail
length and angle) which gives an eventual orbital period above 24 hours, up
to approximately 48 hours. Seems too slow for a normal satellite. The
closest match I could get with A. Pouplier's suite is Cosmos 641, but it's
supposed to be much faster and 4 degrees below.

Too slow for a satellite, but isn't it too fast for an asteroid?

I am a total newbie in this identification matters, more than a short
answer, I am interested by any pointer describing methods to identify such
objects. Thanks in advance!

Could it be a geostationary satellite?

Daniele Gasparri
Perugia (Italy)
Tel: +393334074378
www.marcofazzoli.com/danielegaasparri

Old August 13th 04, 05:52 PM
Pierre Vandevenne

Daniele Gasparri wrote in
:

Could it be a geostationary satellite?

The orbital period should be 24 hours, which appears to be a the extreme
lower range of what the trail shows. Thanks Danielle, I'll mesure carefully
on the original full size image. JMB also suggested a possible Molniya
satellite, whose highly eccenctric orbit, could appear to be slower than
geostationary.

--
Pierre Vandevenne - DataRescue sa/nv - www.datarescue.com
The IDA Pro Disassembler & Debugger - world leader in hostile code analysis