Nova types?

Old October 9th 10, 04:04 PM posted to sci.astro
JT

Default Nova types?

Can a recurrent nova have a material collecting phase(white dwarf) of
2000 years, and a nova phase of 1600 years. With a total period of
3600 years?

Could there be such a star in our nearby vicinity?

JT
Old October 10th 10, 04:19 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10/9/2010 11:04 AM, JT wrote:
Can a recurrent nova have a material collecting phase(white dwarf) of
2000 years, and a nova phase of 1600 years. With a total period of
3600 years?

Could there be such a star in our nearby vicinity?

No, a nova is an instantaneous nuclear flash. Once it's burned up its
nuclear fuel it's done, and it needs to recollect the fuel again. Only
once the collected fuel reaches a certain density does another nuclear
flash occur again.

Yousuf Khan
Old October 10th 10, 09:28 AM posted to sci.astro
JT

On 10 Okt, 05:19, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 10/9/2010 11:04 AM, JT wrote:

Can a recurrent nova have a material collecting phase(white dwarf) of
2000 years, and a nova phase of 1600 years. With a total period of
3600 years?

Could there be such a star in our nearby vicinity?

No, a nova is an instantaneous nuclear flash. Once it's burned up its
nuclear fuel it's done, and it needs to recollect the fuel again. Only
once the collected fuel reaches a certain density does another nuclear
flash occur again.

* * * * Yousuf Khan

You are confused Antares, Aldebaran, Beetleguese are red giant novas
known since the greeks and ptolemys time 160 AD. So i do not know
where you got the idea that they just flash up they stay enlarged over
millenias.

My question was could they have a period such that the building phase
is 2000 years, and the (red giant)nova phase 1600 years.

JT
Old October 10th 10, 10:16 AM posted to sci.astro
Mike Dworetsky

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 10/9/2010 11:04 AM, JT wrote:
Can a recurrent nova have a material collecting phase(white dwarf) of
2000 years, and a nova phase of 1600 years. With a total period of
3600 years?

Could there be such a star in our nearby vicinity?

No, a nova is an instantaneous nuclear flash. Once it's burned up its
nuclear fuel it's done, and it needs to recollect the fuel again. Only
once the collected fuel reaches a certain density does another nuclear
flash occur again.

Yousuf Khan

You do realise this crackpot guy will refuse to believe you?

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)
Old October 10th 10, 12:13 PM posted to sci.astro
Mike Dworetsky

On 10/9/2010 11:04 AM, JT wrote:

Can a recurrent nova have a material collecting phase(white dwarf)
of 2000 years, and a nova phase of 1600 years. With a total period
of 3600 years?

Could there be such a star in our nearby vicinity?

No, a nova is an instantaneous nuclear flash. Once it's burned up its
nuclear fuel it's done, and it needs to recollect the fuel again.
Only once the collected fuel reaches a certain density does another
nuclear flash occur again.

Yousuf Khan

You are confused Antares, Aldebaran, Beetleguese are red giant novas
known since the greeks and ptolemys time 160 AD. So i do not know
where you got the idea that they just flash up they stay enlarged over
millenias.

He isn't confused. A nova is a very rapid event and he has described the
mechanism in its essentials.

Your ignorance is showing. Two of these stars are red supergiants, not
novae. It is thought these two will become supernovae in the future, but
that is a one-off event for any massive star.

Aldebaran is a red giant, less massive than the others, much closer to us,
and will probably evolve into a planetary nebula, then a white dwarf. It
can only become a nova if it has a close companion but as far as I recall it
is single.

My question was could they have a period such that the building phase
is 2000 years, and the (red giant)nova phase 1600 years.

Wasn't it Einstein who described insanity as repeating the same thing over
and over again and hoping for a different result each time?

Once again, the answer to your question is no.

JT

Old October 10th 10, 12:17 PM posted to sci.astro
JT

On 10 Okt, 11:16, "Mike Dworetsky"
wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 10/9/2010 11:04 AM, JT wrote:
Can a recurrent nova have a material collecting phase(white dwarf) of
2000 years, and a nova phase of 1600 years. With a total period of
3600 years?

Could there be such a star in our nearby vicinity?

No, a nova is an instantaneous nuclear flash. Once it's burned up its
nuclear fuel it's done, and it needs to recollect the fuel again. Only
once the collected fuel reaches a certain density does another nuclear
flash occur again.

Yousuf Khan

You do realise this crackpot guy will refuse to believe you?

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Well for no more specific reason then pondering you should watch a
movie called Logans Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WUUnc1M0TA

And maybe just maybe you are able to link a few straws from this sci-
fi flic, to our past.
Also note that Logan was/is a famous antropologist/archeolog that
wrote a book about the Amarna period.

Maybe there is records of the past not publicly available.

JT
Old October 10th 10, 01:12 PM posted to sci.astro
Mike Dworetsky

wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 10/9/2010 11:04 AM, JT wrote:
[...]

Yeah, right, it is all a conspiracy against you.

Old October 10th 10, 05:03 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10/10/2010 4:28 AM, JT wrote:
You are confused Antares, Aldebaran, Beetleguese are red giant novas
known since the greeks and ptolemys time 160 AD. So i do not know
where you got the idea that they just flash up they stay enlarged over
millenias.

Those are not novas, they are red giants and supergiants. Now some of
them might have a variable phase to them where they brighten up slightly
for a period of time, but it's usually just small fractional-scale
brightening. A nova or a supernova are several magnitudes brighter than
normal and very short lived.

My question was could they have a period such that the building phase
is 2000 years, and the (red giant)nova phase 1600 years.

Red giants are not novas.

Yousuf Khan
Old October 10th 10, 05:21 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10/10/2010 5:16 AM, Mike Dworetsky wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 10/9/2010 11:04 AM, JT wrote:
Can a recurrent nova have a material collecting phase(white dwarf) of
2000 years, and a nova phase of 1600 years. With a total period of
3600 years?

Could there be such a star in our nearby vicinity?

No, a nova is an instantaneous nuclear flash. Once it's burned up its
nuclear fuel it's done, and it needs to recollect the fuel again. Only
once the collected fuel reaches a certain density does another nuclear
flash occur again.

Yousuf Khan

You do realise this crackpot guy will refuse to believe you?

Yup, I've dealt with him before. He's another one like Brad Guth, i.e. a
Sirius aficionado. He's a little bit more open to facts than Brad is
though, that's the only reason I still respond to him. That's why he's
asking these leading questions about novas, white dwarfs, red stars
changing colours, celestial-based mental illnesses, etc. It's a pretty
transparent attempt at obtaining the answer that he's looking for, to
fit around his own preconceived notions about Sirius.

I don't know what causes people to begin believing such myths so
strongly that their reason is changed by it, it's similar to religion.
However, there's only so much that you can do make myths fit around
facts or vice-versa, and when the two of them collide head-on against
each other, then one of them has to be discarded, and unfortunately they
believe the myths more than the facts.

Yousuf Khan
Old October 10th 10, 05:28 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10/10/2010 7:17 AM, JT wrote:
On 10 Okt, 11:16, "Mike
wrote:
You do realise this crackpot guy will refuse to believe you?

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Well for no more specific reason then pondering you should watch a
movie called Logans Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WUUnc1M0TA

And maybe just maybe you are able to link a few straws from this sci-
fi flic, to our past.
Also note that Logan was/is a famous antropologist/archeolog that
wrote a book about the Amarna period.

Maybe there is records of the past not publicly available.

JT

Listen Jonas, you have to stop watching so much television, it seems to
have totally scrambled your grip on reality. You're putting together
patterns in your head based on the most trivial of similarities, such as
thinking an archaeologist is the same person as a fictional character in
a movie.

We all like movies and tv, but we don't immediately believe there are
factual messages to be deciphered within them.

Yousuf Khan

Q for the Astrophoto types Kevin M. Vernon Amateur Astronomy 7 December 6th 04 12:07 PM
Types of Mountings T Amateur Astronomy 8 October 30th 04 09:43 PM
How Do I - Nagler types? Mark Smith Amateur Astronomy 27 May 17th 04 10:13 PM
Eyepiece Types MW Amateur Astronomy 30 January 1st 04 11:01 PM
DSC's And Different Dob Types Etok Amateur Astronomy 1 September 8th 03 06:03 AM