NASA, SpaceX Set First Dragon Launch To ISS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 27th 11, 01:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Matt Wiser

Default NASA, SpaceX Set First Dragon Launch To ISS

On Dec 26, 1:23*am, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 26/12/2011 5:39 PM, Matt Wiser wrote:

Clearly, they do, and have done wonders in those fields. But, and this
is the key he SLS and Orion are for BEO. The other stuff you
mention is for LEO.

Doesn't have to be just LEO - Dragon is designed for re-entry at Martian
velocities, not just Lunar or LEO. *My idea of a 55 tonne LV is right in
the range of Falcon Heavy - Lunar is easy.

True, but remember back during Augustine? Musk made a few comments
that practically meant that "NASA should buy my products exclusively,"
or words to that effect. He made a lot of enemies as a result. Not to
mention that he's admitted that Space X only has 1% of the lobbying
power that Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Northrop-Grumman, or ULA have. He
may get the cargo contract, but crew? I'd wager on Boeing and Orbital
Science.