Travel Star 8" F/6 Achromat Refractor

Old August 17th 03, 09:32 PM
Mark Wagner

Default Travel Star 8" F/6 Achromat Refractor

On 17 Aug 2003 20:27:35 GMT, (Chris1011) wrote:

See Astromart ad# 209965 and review on Cloudy Nights. In the review 150x on

the moon and Jupiter with no false color is claimed. Is this possible?

Do you believe in the tooth fairy?

RC

If she'll leave a 7" AP under my pillow, yes. I'll even condider pulling a
tooth! ;-)

Mark Wagner
Compact Precision Telescopes
http://www.astronomy-mall.com/cpt
Tele Vue inventory: Nagler: T5 -31mm & 26mm, T4 - 22mm, 17mm & 12mm, T6 - 13mm, 9mm & 7mm, 2" Big Barlow.
Old August 17th 03, 09:39 PM
Chuck Taylor

"Don Fritz" wrote in message
See Astromart ad# 209965 and review on Cloudy Nights. In the review 150x

on
the moon and Jupiter with no false color is claimed. Is this possible?

No.

There are a number of laughably false/hype points in the ad and review both.
But after the last fracas, I'm a little reluctant to point them out in
public.

Also I noticed Markus Ludes APM Telescopes sells a TMB designed Fraunhofer
8" F/6 achromat lens. Thanks for any input, Don

Haven't seen it.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old August 17th 03, 10:21 PM
Chuck Taylor

"Mark Wagner" wrote in message
On 17 Aug 2003 20:27:35 GMT, (Chris1011) wrote:

See Astromart ad# 209965 and review on Cloudy Nights. In the review

150x on
the moon and Jupiter with no false color is claimed. Is this possible?

Do you believe in the tooth fairy?

RC

If she'll leave a 7" AP under my pillow, yes. I'll even condider pulling

tooth! ;-)

Heck, I'd pull one of your teeth for even a 6"!

;-)

Old August 17th 03, 11:23 PM
Alan French

"Don Fritz" wrote in message
See Astromart ad# 209965 and review on Cloudy Nights. In the review 150x

on
the moon and Jupiter with no false color is claimed. Is this possible?
Also I noticed Markus Ludes APM Telescopes sells a TMB designed Fraunhofer
8" F/6 achromat lens. Thanks for any input, Don

Don,

A friend loaned me one of the UO 80s for a few weeks some time ago. This
80mm f/6.25 achromat showed a bit of color on the Moon, Jupiter, and as
color fringing on objects during the day. An 8" f/6 achromat is going to
have a lot of color. It will make no difference who makes it or how
carefully they make it.

Clear skies, Alan

Old August 17th 03, 11:46 PM
ValeryD

"Don Fritz" wrote in message ...
See Astromart ad# 209965 and review on Cloudy Nights. In the review 150x on
the moon and Jupiter with no false color is claimed. Is this possible?
Also I noticed Markus Ludes APM Telescopes sells a TMB designed Fraunhofer
8" F/6 achromat lens. Thanks for any input, Don

Ask TMB himslef if this possible for such 8" F/6 achromat.
Then forward the answer to the guy, who wrote that "review".
He is also a manufacturer of this miracle tube. May be he is
color blind?

Interesting, that three sources asked me to create a cheap(!!!!)
corrector for such 8" F/6 achromat. Why they did this if such an
achromat does a nice job. :-)

V.D.
Old August 18th 03, 01:44 AM
Jeff Morgan

In article
, "Don
Fritz" wrote:

See Astromart ad# 209965 and review on Cloudy Nights. In the review
150x on the moon and Jupiter with no false color is claimed. Is this
possible? Also I noticed Markus Ludes APM Telescopes sells a TMB
designed Fraunhofer 8" F/6 achromat lens. Thanks for any input, Don

OK, to give you an idea of what you might be in for ...

Over the holidays I sold a 6" f/5 Jaegers refractor. Color was
noticeable on all bright objects at low power. At medium power (about
65x IIRC) color was detectable even on the fainter stars (mag 5). On
bright stuff, it was awful. Think about it - that's only 10x per inch of
aperture.

Such scopes are made for low power sweeping, at which they excel. Don't
even think about anything else.

--
Jeff Morgan
email: substitute mindspring for nospam
Old August 18th 03, 01:35 PM
Chris1011

Actually I'm surprised that Cloudy Nights would publish such a review of
these scopes, since such a claim is clearly "out of bounds".

Most reviews are done by individuals without any kind of measuring equipment.
The same is true of most magazine reviews. Therefore, they tend to be
subjective, written according to that particular reviewer's tastes and
experiences. The reviews are "soft" in that hard data is lacking.

Roland Christen