A few fuzzies

Old June 9th 05, 11:17 AM
Tony Pottrell

Default A few fuzzies

Hi all,

Here's a few fuzzies I've managed to grab during the recent clear spell.
All taken with an Atik-2HS camera.

http://www.pyroport.com/astro/deepsky/M51/index.asp - M51
http://www.pyroport.com/astro/deepsky/M57/index.asp - M57
http://www.pyroport.com/astro/deepsky/M97/index.asp and M97

If the weather holds out I'm going to attempt adding colour from my 300D..
*fingers crossed*

Cheers,

Tony

Old June 10th 05, 10:15 AM
John D. Tanner

Charles Gilman wrote:
M51 is interesting. What's the secondary nucleus? Is it a former satellite
galaxy in the process of falling in? I have read that this happens, not just
on a planetary scale (Phobos is due to crash into Mars in the very long
term) but also on a galactic one (the "Sagittarius dwarf" is falling into
our own galaxy, from the opposite side from the Solar System).

Hi Charles,

It is NGC5195 (an irregular galaxy), and it is currently being ripped
appart by M51 (similar to the canabalistic nature of the Milky Way). The
following website has some good information about it

http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/ngc/n5195.html

All the best,
John
http://physics.open.ac.uk/~jdtanner
Old June 10th 05, 10:22 AM
John D. Tanner

It is NGC5195 (an irregular galaxy), and it is currently being ripped
appart by M51 (similar to the canabalistic nature of the Milky Way).

PS I should have mentioned that NGC5195 has recieved only a 'glancing
blow' from M51 (not literally being ripped apart), whereas the MW is
*really* devouring the Sgr dwarf galaxy. My brain wasn't in gear ;-)

Cheers,
John