is this correct?

Old July 30th 03, 04:31 PM
DrPostman

Default is this correct?

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:19:41 +0200 (CEST), starwars
wrote:

The ancient Greek philosopher Socrates
taught his students that the pursuit of truth can only begin once they
start to
question and analyze every belief that they ever held dear. If a certain
belief
passes the tests of evidence, deduction, and logic, it should be kept. If it

doesn't, the belief should not only be discarded, but the thinker must
also then
question why he was led to believe the erroneous information in the first
place. Not surprisingly, this type of teaching didn't sit well with the
ruling
elite of Greece. Many political leaders throughout history have always
sought to
mislead the thinking of the masses. Socrates was tried for "subversion"
and for
"corrupting the youth". He was then forced to take his own life by drinking

poison. It's never easy being an independent thinker! Today, our ruling
government/media complex doesn't kill people for pursuing the truth about the

world (at least not yet!) They simply label them as "extremists" or
"paranoid", destroying careers and reputations in the process. For many,
that's
a fate even worse than drinking poison hemlock!

end of quote.

I think it must be wrong cause' governments do kill people that open
their mouths (too much).

What on earth are you yammering about?

--
Dr.Postman USPS, MBMC, BsD; "Disgruntled, But Unarmed"
Member,Board of Directors of afa-b, SKEP-TI-CULT® member #15-51506-253.

"The services provided by Sylvia Browne Corporation are highly
speculative in nature and we do not guarantee that the results
of our work will be satisfactory to a client."
-Sylvia's Refund Policy
Old July 30th 03, 04:44 PM
Uncle Al

starwars wrote:

The ancient Greek philosopher Socrates

[snip]

The ancient Roman God Sterculius. Cut the **** and get to the point.

It's never easy being an independent thinker!

[snip]

If physical reality says you are an ass, then you are an empirical
ass. If you want folk to reflexively celebrate the smell of your
brainfarts, join a religion or Liberal Arts college - or register as a
Democrat.

I think it must be wrong cause' governments do kill people that open
their mouths (too much).

Clinton Administration arkancides. So shoot back. Uncle Al says,
"the only safe place is behind a trigger."

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Old July 30th 03, 10:08 PM
chris CLARK

OK nice philisophical nonsense, however please explain the reason you are
posting in THIS GROUP?
elinux.net...

Old July 30th 03, 10:41 PM
Old Man

starwars wrote in message
elinux.net...

... I think it must be wrong cause' governments do kill people
that open their mouths (too much).

Galileo Galilei was right, but also deliberately and ineptly provocative
(Simplicio). Then we have tyrants like Trofim Lyenko (Soviet genetics
by extinction). In sci.physics we have fascists vs. Einstein. Socrates
was a politician. May politicos suffer just desserts. [Old Man]

Old July 31st 03, 01:41 AM
Fred Garvin

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:19:41 -0400, starwars wrote:

The ancient Greek philosopher Socrates taught his students that the
pursuit of truth can only begin once they start to question and analyze
every belief that they ever held dear. If a certain belief
passes the tests of evidence, deduction, and logic, it should be kept. If
it

(snip of rambling nonsense)

I believe it was Socrates that said:

"I drank WHAT????"

--
What's the difference between light and hard?
You can sleep with a light on.
Old July 31st 03, 04:02 AM
Old Man

Edward Green wrote in message
m...
"Old Man" wrote in message

starwars wrote in message
elinux.net...

... I think it must be wrong cause' governments do kill people
that open their mouths (too much).

Galileo Galilei was right, but also deliberately and ineptly provocative
(Simplicio). Then we have tyrants like Trofim Lyenko (Soviet genetics
by extinction). In sci.physics we have fascists vs. Einstein.

Socrates
was a politician.

??? Then he must of been of the deliberately and ineptly provocative

skein.

Well, no. He was a scheming old *******, but mostly he was into
young boys, and the money, of course. As for Galileo: he could
have been a little more diplomatic, not about the facts, but, really,
he could have found a better name and manner for his fictional
protagonist. After all, Aristotle wasn't dumb, but he was wrong.
Galileo wasn't a politician nor was he politically acute. He was
smartass scientist. He was the first to observe sunspots, and
he attempted to tack them onto the pope's holy butt; eeeh-haaa!
[Old Man]

May politicos suffer just desserts. [Old Man]

Or, just deserts.

Old July 31st 03, 05:00 AM
DrPostman

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:41:24 -0400, Fred Garvin
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:19:41 -0400, starwars wrote:

The ancient Greek philosopher Socrates taught his students that the
pursuit of truth can only begin once they start to question and analyze
every belief that they ever held dear. If a certain belief
passes the tests of evidence, deduction, and logic, it should be kept. If
it

(snip of rambling nonsense)

I believe it was Socrates that said:

"I drank WHAT????"

And here I always thought it was "Needs more sugar".

Old July 31st 03, 02:05 PM
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.physics, starwars

wrote
on Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:19:41 +0200 (CEST)
ux.net:
The ancient Greek philosopher Socrates
taught his students that the pursuit of truth can only begin once they
start to
question and analyze every belief that they ever held dear.

If a certain
belief
passes the tests of evidence, deduction, and logic, it should be kept.

[rest snipped]

Nice philosophical sophistry. Can you predict thereby the
mass of a neutron? :-) Or at least the weight of a
historic New York subway token?

#191,
It's still legal to go .sigless.
Old August 1st 03, 02:22 PM
Edward Green

"Old Man" wrote in message news:3f27348b_3@newsfeed...
Edward Green wrote in message
m...
"Old Man" wrote in message

starwars wrote in message
elinux.net...

... I think it must be wrong cause' governments do kill people
that open their mouths (too much).

Galileo Galilei was right, but also deliberately and ineptly provocative
(Simplicio). Then we have tyrants like Trofim Lyenko (Soviet genetics
by extinction). In sci.physics we have fascists vs. Einstein.

Socrates
was a politician.

??? Then he must of been of the deliberately and ineptly provocative

skein.

Well, no. He was a scheming old *******, but mostly he was into
young boys, and the money, of course.

He maneuvered himself into a bad end. Was that a miscalculation, or a
deliberate act of self-destruction?