Astro: Two for one deal

Old May 2nd 09, 10:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: Two for one deal

Two Arp galaxies are in this image Arp 79 and Arp 117. I'll start with
Arp 117 as it dominates the image. It is the large spiral with a small
elliptical off its arms at the lower right. Arp classed it as
"Elliptical or elliptical like galaxies: close to perturbing spirals."
I'm not sure who is perturbing whom. Looks mutual to me. The
"elliptical" shows more details than normally seen in one -- compare to
the bigger one, NGC 5490 at the very bottom of the image for instance.
It has a red shift distance of 233 million light years. Part of the
difference is that the elliptical like companion is really an SA0 galaxy
rather than a true elliptical. Still it has more structure than those
usually have as well. The spiral certainly is different as well. Arp
says of the spiral "Flattening of spiral's nucleus appears to be in
different plane than arm." The arms appear rather scrambled. The pair
is about 260 million light years away in the constellation of Bootes
just under it's brightest star, Arcturus, on of the brightest stars in
our skies. The star cluster like squiggle on the east (left) side is
cataloged as SDSS J141012.51+174344.2 and as a separate galaxy though no
red shift data is available. I don't know if it is a true galaxy or
just a star cluster in the galaxy. The spiral is also known as IC 983
and the smaller elliptical like galaxy as IC 982. The pair is part of
what is known as the NGC 5490 group. That's the galaxy at the bottom.
The Zwicky cluster 1407.6+1750 is centered near the right side of the
image west of Arp 117.

Arp's image of the galaxy pair is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp117.jpeg

Don Goldman (a rather famous astro imager and maker of the filters I use
in my camera image
http://old.astrodon.com/_img/image/g...983RedoJG2.jpg
Oddly it doesn't appear to be one of his good images but it does go
deeper than mine.

Did you spot the other Arp galaxy in this image? It is Arp 79 classed
as "Spiral galaxies with companions on arms: Large high surface
brightness companions. Odd but I don't see anything in this frame that
fits that description other than maybe Arp 117. Actually it is the
rather typical looking spiral half way between Arp 117 and NGC 5490 at
the bottom. Other than being very blue it is rather normal looking. So
where's this large high surface brightness companion? If you find it
let me know. Is it the faint horizontal bar that appears below the
lower arm? I can't find it mentioned anyplace. Is it the brightening
at the end of each arm where it ends in the core of the galaxy? This
gives it a double core appearance. I can't find anything to settle this
issue. The galaxy (or is it galaxies) is also about 260 million light
years away and thus part of the same group as Arp 117 and NGC 5490. All
may be part of the Zwicky cluster I mentioned.

Arp's photo, rotated 90 degrees clockwise from mine is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp79.jpeg
In case your software can't reduce this oversize image here's a smaller
version
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ures/arp79.gif

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP79-117IC982-3L4X10RGB2X10R.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	2436
Old May 3rd 09, 01:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Wow, what an image. IC 983 is a faint one, still you got a lot of
high-contrast detail in it.

Stefan

ter.com...

Old May 3rd 09, 06:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
G[_2_]

Got to hit this one!!!
Spectacular image!
mag 11.7 Arp 117

Off topic. Would like this desktop PC?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKcSxd_ynsM

ter.com...

Old May 3rd 09, 05:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that guy sure has a well defined bar Rick

[...]

What's the deal? G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 0 March 7th 09 05:09 PM
What's The Deal! [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 12 December 25th 06 02:30 AM
EELVs Are A Bad Deal Ed Kyle Policy 53 February 28th 05 05:30 AM
Space "tug" deal? dave schneider Policy 0 October 1st 04 01:08 AM
Deal is On Almost! Starlord Amateur Astronomy 8 September 12th 03 02:31 AM