Anybody watch the C-Span 2 thing today?

Old December 20th 03, 06:11 AM
MSu1049321

Default Anybody watch the C-Span 2 thing today?

Tyson's speech was very good, wish I had more time to quietly digest it before
the following speakers kind of muddied the waters and Zubrin and his wild,
twitchy eye started to distract. It was like watching a room full of Star Trek
nerds all trying to straighten up for a passing pretty girl (the viewing
public) , and totally falling apart into petty arcane squabbles and
one-upgeekship as she sails on by.

No wonder the public is apathetic, there really is no unified space consensus
to be able to sell them. Might never have one, I guess, which leaves it all up
to private industry and investment, or totalitarian regumes with command
economies.

I like Zubrin, weird or not, and am fascinated by his thinking on Mars, but am
personally of the belief the Moon and cislunar space make more sense in the
relative near term as a logical next step out of LEO as we perfect everything
we need to go to Mars in a serious way and STAY.