Deep Impact T-Bone

Old July 2nd 05, 01:54 AM
ROC

Default Deep Impact T-Bone

That's right. A T-Bone. The media has incorectly implied that DI is
actually heading directly into the comet.
In fact, it's more like a garbage can getting T-Boned by a 200 KM/HR. bullet
train at an intersection.

This is an intersect mission. Temple 1 travels at 23,000 MPH. That is the
velocity of the impact as DI crosses it's path.

Old July 2nd 05, 05:59 AM
pay1439 pay1439 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC
That's right. A T-Bone. The media has incorectly implied that DI is
actually heading directly into the comet.
In fact, it's more like a garbage can getting T-Boned by a 200 KM/HR. bullet
train at an intersection.

This is an intersect mission. Temple 1 travels at 23,000 MPH. That is the
velocity of the impact as DI crosses it's path.

I thought it was more 'getting run over'. as in comet coming up behind at 63,000mph, and the probe traveling at 40,000mph..the difference being 23,000mph. Otherwise in a side impact...how is NASA supposed to get pictures of the crater as it 'flies by'?
Old July 2nd 05, 03:33 PM
Ike

"pay1439" wrote in message
news

ROC Wrote:
That's right. A T-Bone. The media has incorectly implied that DI is
actually heading directly into the comet.
In fact, it's more like a garbage can getting T-Boned by a 200 KM/HR.
bullet
train at an intersection.

This is an intersect mission. Temple 1 travels at 23,000 MPH. That is
the
velocity of the impact as DI crosses it's path.

I thought it was more 'getting run over'. as in comet coming up behind
at 63,000mph, and the probe traveling at 40,000mph..the difference being
23,000mph. Otherwise in a side impact...how is NASA supposed to get
pictures of the crater as it 'flies by'?

The comet is travelling at 23,000 mph, not 63,000. That is what was
reported

Old July 2nd 05, 07:05 PM

Wow, there wouldn't be much left of the garbage can if that were the
case.......

Old July 4th 05, 01:34 AM
pay1439 pay1439 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Montana

I knew I wasn't crazy...although this information could be wrong too.
"At 1:52 a.m. Eastern time tomorrow, barring a last-minute mishap, comet Tempel 1, a lumpy, Manhattan Island-size potato hurtling through space at 66,000 mph, will overtake the 820-pound "impactor" dropped off in its path by a NASA spacecraft poking along at 43,000 mph." Rest of the article is here http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070201323.html

Everyother article I've read only states that the impact will occur at 23,000mph.