How many degrees in their orbit do the planets travel in one Earth year?

Old August 13th 15, 05:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default How many degrees in their orbit do the planets travel in one Earth year?

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:26:39 -0400, Lord Vath
wrote:

Catholic charities do more to help the poor than all the governments
of the world combined.

That's laughable. And the fraction of its income that the RCC puts
into charity can't begin to offset the massive harm it causes
humanity, the billions who have died and continue to suffer because of
it.
Old August 13th 15, 05:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

wrote:

Catholic charities do more to help the poor than all the governments
of the world combined.

That's laughable.

But it's true.

And the fraction of its income that the RCC puts
into charity can't begin to offset the massive harm it causes
humanity, the billions who have died and continue to suffer because of
it.

That's nonsense. But yet you can't deny that the Catholic church does
charity work. You call yourself a social progressive and I'll bet you
contribute less to charity than most people reading this. No, you
would let the government take care of the poor, and besmirch the
charity organizations. You'll rue the day when you are in need of
them.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old August 13th 15, 05:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:40:34 -0400, Lord Vath
wrote:

That's nonsense. But yet you can't deny that the Catholic church does
charity work.

I don't. But you don't need a church for charity. And it doesn't
address the fact that the paltry charity fails to offset the massive
damage.
Old August 13th 15, 05:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

wrote:

That's nonsense. But yet you can't deny that the Catholic church does
charity work.

I don't. But you don't need a church for charity. And it doesn't
address the fact that the paltry charity fails to offset the massive
damage.

You overexagerate the damage. While it's true that some of the
members give the organization a bad name, the vast majority do good
work for charity.

I'll ask again, in a more blunt fashion. How much do you donate to
charity? I donated ten percent of my weeks earnings when I went to
church on Sunday.

Old August 13th 15, 06:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10:17:26 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:
the billions who have died and continue to suffer because of
it.

Only their prohibition on contraception could come close to killing billions, and
I doubt that one could yet really assign that much damage to it.

John Savard
Old August 13th 15, 06:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:37:13 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10:17:26 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:
the billions who have died and continue to suffer because of
it.

Only their prohibition on contraception could come close to killing billions, and
I doubt that one could yet really assign that much damage to it.

And their role in the spread of AIDS. And their role in holding back
human progress for centuries. And their role in wars.
Old August 13th 15, 06:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:59:32 -0400, Lord Vath
wrote:

You overexagerate the damage.

I don't think so. I'd say they are the single most damaging
institution that has ever existed, causing more harm and suffering
than any government, any person, anything else.

I'll ask again, in a more blunt fashion. How much do you donate to
charity?

I've given on average 20 hours a week to charitable work for the last
15 years. Assign whatever value you choose to that.

But I don't judge people by their charitable contributions, rather by
their contributions to society, which need not involve charity. And
certainly not by donations to church, only the tiniest fraction of
which end up going to charity.
Old August 13th 15, 07:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

It was only a matter of time before the thread was swamped with mediocrity.

For those who truly wish to come within the influence of the original heliocentric astronomers such as Huygens,Kepler,Copernicus and their methods, they can look at a new way to approach observations and especially the new way to account for the Earth's orbital motion using the phases of Venus and a grandstand view of the solar system from our vantage point on a slower moving Earth.

It means setting up the Sun as a central reference using the line-of-sight motion of the stars behind the Sun as we move along our orbital circumference thereby replacing the older notion of the Sun's motion through the field of stars -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQwYrfmvoQ

It is then we can watch the motions of the inner planets as their faster motion brings the out from behind the central Sun to their widest point before swinging back in front of the Sun.

This is waiting for a proper treatment as opposed to graphics I have stitched together to create a narrative. It doesn't matter whether it is a large institution or a kid working in a garage or basement, this issue highlights just how amazing these 21st century instruments are when allied with telescopes and a genuine spirit.

The descent into mediocrity is the worst human condition as it is an airless,spiritless condition that goes nowhere and does nothing.