Is empty space infinite?

Old December 13th 03, 10:38 PM
Frank Bov

Default Is empty space infinite?

Guys,
You missed the point. Before the Big Bang, space didn't exist. There was no
"place" where the universe started, there was no "region" in space that
could be defined because the Bang was the instant that space as we know it
was created.

So the "region of the Big Bang is a philosophical problem" as I said.

Now get on with the discussion . . .

Frank

1. There is no region defined in physics.
Does that mean that no definition is non-existence

no, and I did not "claim" that at all. But I was just stating that the
statement about "region" is void, without definition of region. As

"region"
is not a well known (if known at all) thing, I was saying to please supply

definition. Without it, the statement has no meaning.

Old December 13th 03, 10:40 PM
Frank Bov

Nice description . . .

"Norbert" wrote in message
r...
I think you should go and have a look here :
http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/redshift.html
You'll find a (very simple) answer to your question

--
Norbert. (no X for the answer)

======================================
knowing the universe - stellar and galaxies evolution
http://nrumiano.free.fr
images of the sky http://images.ciel.free.fr
======================================

Old December 14th 03, 09:05 PM
KlingvilleBill

From: "Norbert"

I think you should go and have a look here :
http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/redshift.html
You'll find a (very simple) answer to your question

here is what it says:
"This is the problem of defining a distance in an expanding universe: Two
galaxies are near to each other when the universe is only 1 billion years old.
The first galaxy emits a pulse of light. The second galaxy does not receive the
pulse until the universe is 14 billion years old. By this time the galaxies are
separated by about 26 billion light years; the pulse of light has been
travelling for 13 billion years; and the view the people receive in the second
galaxy is an image of the first galaxy when it was only 1 billion years old and
when it was only about 2 billion light years away."

If they "were very near to each other at 1 billion years old", then why did
it take 14b years for the pulse of light to reach us?

Old December 15th 03, 01:11 AM
Brian Tung

KlingvilleBill wrote:
If they "were very near to each other at 1 billion years old", then
why did it take 14b years for the pulse of light to reach us?

Because the expansion of the universe keeps on extending the space that
the photon needs to travel to reach its destination. You can think of
the photon as a bug traversing a rubber band between the two galaxies--
a rubber band that is continually stretching. You can demonstrate that
the photon will always make it to its destination, provided that space
never accelerates its expansion, but it might take a long time.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old December 15th 03, 07:45 AM
Fr Chas

One way of looking at this is to review what has been recently said by the
cosmologists. It is believed that space expands along with matter. Matter in
our universe has been expanding for about 14.3 billion years...we cannot see
before that era as light was not available to see! That is called the horizon.
Also, with M theory and string theory, we may have as many as 11 dimensions
and our universe may be one of an infinite number. Like slices of a loaf of
bread, parallel universes may bump into each other sometimes and create new
universes with different physics, etc. That is how the big bang is now being
perceived. It may be that what we see is just a consequence of other close
universes separated by millimeters bumping into each other. Another way of
perceiving this would be the creation of a bubble, kind of like bubbles created
on the top of waves as they crest. So, as said previously, space is not empty
but unbounded and expanding with matter in all directions from anywhere you may
be in our universe which may be one on an infinite number. As has been pointed
out, what we perceive may be a small fraction of bizarre physics in an
unfathomable number of universes which are themselves unbounded...sounds pretty
big and complex...if you perceive of the surface of a sphere you get an idea of
unbounded...there are no corners or edges or walls. You may want to read
Stephen Hawkings "A Universe in a Nutshell" and you get a feel for this.