How long before people realize shuttle shouldnt of ended till newlaunch vehicle was operable?

Old June 29th 11, 12:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Default How long before people realize shuttle shouldnt of ended till newlaunch vehicle was operable?

I believe something will come up once the shuttle is permanetely
grounded......

might be a dispute with russia, a sudden freight need to space that
only the shuttle could do. most likely some ISS parts theres no other
easy way to get to orbit, perhaps a habitation module gets damaged by
space debris.

congress will ask themselves why did we end the shutte before a new
launch system was at least viable?

on another note whats up with google groups? i havent seen a new post
in many many days. is it broke for everyone?
Old June 29th 11, 02:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 29/06/2011 9:54 PM, bob haller wrote:
I believe something will come up once the shuttle is permanetely
grounded......

It's such a money-pit that until it's grounded there's no spare cash for
anything else.

Sylvia.
Old June 29th 11, 06:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

"bob haller" wrote in message
I believe something will come up once the shuttle is permanetely
grounded......

might be a dispute with russia, a sudden freight need to space that
only the shuttle could do. most likely some ISS parts theres no other
easy way to get to orbit, perhaps a habitation module gets damaged by
space debris.

Becomes excuse to shut down the ISS and save more money. I've yet to read
one comment that says the ISS is essential and backs it up with acceptable
facts.

congress will ask themselves why did we end the shutte before a new
launch system was at least viable?

But they won't ask, they won't care - they will have just gotten rid of the
ISS.

on another note whats up with google groups? i havent seen a new post
in many many days. is it broke for everyone?

I've seen multiple posts in other groups where folks using Google are trying
to post and it's not appreaing on their news group.

Old June 29th 11, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

The real all-inclusive cost is at least twice as much as we're being told.
Generations are going to be getting other jobs as well as medical and
retirement benefits for decades to come. Even putting those Shuttles and
SRBs in flight musiems is costing us big time, but supposedly that's not
supposed to count.

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message
On 29/06/2011 9:54 PM, bob haller wrote:
I believe something will come up once the shuttle is permanetely
grounded......

It's such a money-pit that until it's grounded there's no spare cash for
anything else.

Sylvia.

http://groups.google.com/group/googl...t/topics?hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/guth-usenet/topics?hl=en

http://translate.google.com/#
Brad Guth, Brad_Guth, Brad.Guth, BradGuth, BG / "Guth Usenet"

Old June 29th 11, 10:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Google Plus (Google+) is a likely cause of all this ongoing USENET
dysfunction of not index updating their version of Usenet/newsgroups.
Server overloads and basic data/archive storage space is becoming a way
bigger problem (especially complex when mirroring via disrupted global
servers gets involved), not to mention the added staff plus global energy
consumption required for keeping each category or whatever social/media
groups of applications going strong.

No doubt whatsoever that this most recent public media dysfunction was an
inside job. Even the upper most social/political and certainly faith-based
caste within Google NOVA would have wanted their public accessible version
of Google Usenet/newsgroups to either fail or become dysfunctional, and lord
knows their army of mostly public-funded GOP/ZNR redneck FUD-masters were
each doing all they could to make this service at best unreliable, because
it was making it too easy for the average global public to access,
investigate, publish and/or reply to whatever topics within any number of
preexisting unmoderated newsgroups.

I'm thinking that Google Groups will likely/eventually restart updating
their index, with a new and improved list of available newsgroups
(eliminating or archiving inactive newsgroups that haven't had any activity
for a year), and perhaps it'll have to include a robo-enforcement on behalf
of at least some of the basic USENET netiquette rules. A long time ago I'd
offered to replace those 5 gold stars with a rating system of 0-10, whereas
a vote status of 10 would indicate something like a 99% approval, and
otherwise a vote of zero representing a 99% disapproval that'll divert or
move any topic after 24 hours having a zero rating via our votes of 0-10,
into a sub-newsgroup (aka whatever newsgroup.trash) and at the same time
place restrictions or limitations on the topic/reply authors that simply
can't behave.

This new topic/reply rating method gives even those truly bad or despicable
topics or replies a minimum of 24 hours to gain at least a vote rating of 1
or higher. Of course this isn't a perfect solution because individuals can
obviously cheat as they always have, although such cheating should be
traceable and thus sufficiently identified as bogus or fraud that'll get the
contributor plus any associated accounts voted down to having access to
posting one topic or reply per day.

There's no good reason to entirely cut-off every bad or nasty contributor,
but instead restrict their nasty or dysfunctional postings down to once per
day, should do the trick of making at least some of them behave better than
the usual bipolar FUD-master that essentially hates everyone.

As is, Google Groups version of Usenet/newsgroups remains taboo/forbidden to
K12s and most higher education levels, because their local/school/university
servers don't make it easy or in many instances even possible for them to
access our private groups or these public newsgroup topics. At least Hitler
and most other Fascism warlords would have approved of such a public
networking turn-down...

Old June 30th 11, 01:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

"bob wrote in message
I believe something will come up once the shuttle is permanetely
grounded......

might be a dispute with russia, a sudden freight need to space that
only the shuttle could do. most likely some ISS parts theres no other
easy way to get to orbit, perhaps a habitation module gets damaged by
space debris.

The irony of Bbo Hallreb posting this is thick, considering he's pretty
much spent the last eight years posting "End the shuttle before it kills
again".

Well, Bbo, you are finally getting what you screamed for, what are you
upset about now? You made most of those stupid posts *after* the
post-Columbia safety improvements, so the shuttle isn't any safer now,
and it was already clear no replacement would be ready before shuttle
retirement.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/msg/7bbe6d03ff11679a
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.space.shuttle/msg/5e145b590e7f0453
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.space.history/msg/1f8f7707994900c9

(only three of at least several dozen examples; I could paste URLs all
night but it isn't worth my time.)
Old June 30th 11, 12:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 6/29/2011 4:15 PM, Jorge R. Frank wrote:
Well, Bbo, you are finally getting what you screamed for, what are you
upset about now? You made most of those stupid posts *after* the
post-Columbia safety improvements, so the shuttle isn't any safer now,
and it was already clear no replacement would be ready before shuttle
retirement.

With the perversity of luck being what it is, I think it would be best
to wait till Atlantis has come to a stop on the runway at the end of the
mission before making any judgments about how safe the Shuttle was.
I heard a few days ago that this ET has some intertank ribs on it that
were made from the same defective batch of aluminum-lithium alloy that
caused such delays for the Discovery on the STS-133 mission, and has
also been reinforced with top and bottom intertank strengthening rings,
like Discovery's was.
Leaving safety aside, the shuttle was a economic flop for putting
payload into orbit economically or on the day planned, and unless
something a lot better (read probably expendable) can be designed in
that regard to replace it, it should not be replaced so much as just
filed away under very expensive and complex concepts that didn't pan
out, like rigid dirigibles.

Pat
Old June 30th 11, 04:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

Brad Guth wrote:

I'm thinking that Google Groups will likely/eventually restart updating
their index, with a new and improved list of available newsgroups
(eliminating or archiving inactive newsgroups that haven't had any activity
for a year),

That would happen on its own if they properly maintained their list of
Big-8 groups according to news.announce.newsgroups and the matching
control messages. There's been an on-going project to trim the list.
Google has mostly been following it so it's been mostly happening.

[...]

I have long suggested that a 1 star rating from 10 unique members should
cause a post to go invisible and 10 such dropped posts in some window
should cause an account to be dropped. Maybe it's even better if each
dropped post resulted in a day without posting privileges as well. One
day for the first, two for the second and so on until the tenth one is
hit.

Such a method would automatically throttle spammers, abusers and kooks
and it would not be done by censor. It would be even better if you're
only allowed to give a 1 star rating for each post you give a higher
rating. It would make people participate in general rather than just
work at complaining. Better still might be earning a few 1 star ratings
per post with each 1 star rating received reducing your number by 1.
Old July 1st 11, 12:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"Doug Freyburger" wrote in message

I have long suggested that a 1 star rating from 10 unique members should
cause a post to go invisible and 10 such dropped posts in some window
should cause an account to be dropped. Maybe it's even better if each
dropped post resulted in a day without posting privileges as well. One
day for the first, two for the second and so on until the tenth one is
hit.

Such a method would automatically throttle spammers, abusers and kooks
and it would not be done by censor. It would be even better if you're
only allowed to give a 1 star rating for each post you give a higher
rating. It would make people participate in general rather than just
work at complaining. Better still might be earning a few 1 star ratings
per post with each 1 star rating received reducing your number by 1.

Huh! This is a public forum.You should have no more say in
who and what posts than I should have in who can use
Central Park.

Don't you see the futility of that kind of control? Once
you banish one extreme, you become the other.
It's far better to have the entire spectrum from which to
pick and choose.

Old July 1st 11, 03:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Jun 30, 11:04*am, Doug Freyburger wrote:
Brad Guth wrote:

[...]

per post with each 1 star rating received reducing your number by 1.- Hide quoted text -

a spammer could easily go in under multiple screen names to create a
bogus but good looking post....