The ISS suffered violent oscillations Jan 14 due to faulty rocket firing

Old February 4th 09, 07:34 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default The ISS suffered violent oscillations Jan 14 due to faulty rocket firing

Email:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
om...
Well, probably not much point in me going for the video. Is there a real
Nasa version of what happened unsensationalised by the media?

The problem with this sort of thing is the fatigue it could generate as
with the noisy sarj etc. I don't know how much work has been done on this
sort of problem in microgravity.

Brian

Email:

"John Doe" wrote in message
Ian D wrote:
Full article, and video from the incident he

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28998876/

Reporters have a way to sensationalise everything.

The video show that the camera wasn't really attached solidly and was
moving aroud.

I guess "shake vigorously" is probably relative to a station that tries
so have not to have any vibrations so they can grow perfect crystals.

If they had used terms like "oscillations" it would have been perhaps
more credible in a contect of the station flexing along its length
because of engines changing direction.

But one has to wonder just how much change in thrust direction those
engines are capable of.

Old February 4th 09, 02:52 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
bob haller safety advocate

my question so the commander feels vibration like never before.

why didnt someone detecting the abnormal problem stop the burn?

heck it might have got worse and depressurized the station.

how many were asleep at the abort switch?

actually onboard sensors should watch automatically for out of bounds
situations and automatically stop whatever they are doing...........

to give people time to look at things........

major major screw up
Old February 4th 09, 08:50 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
John Doe

bob haller safety advocate wrote:

why didnt someone detecting the abnormal problem stop the burn?

It is possible that within Zvezda, the burn didn't seem abnormal, and
that it was only at the other end of the station that oscillations were
noticeable (lever effect).

One also wonders how the CMGs responded to this, whether they dampened
it , were neutral to it, or whether they might have made matters worse.

Remember that this article sensationalised the issue. If not
sensationalised, then the network wouldn't have seen any value in
publishing a boring "the burn was slightly abnormal" article.
Old February 4th 09, 08:51 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
bob haller safety advocate

On Feb 4, 12:06�pm, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Well its as well it was spotted and you need some luck in life when systems
do not do what they should. I believe in Murphy and his law!

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

my question so the commander feels vibration like never before.

why didnt someone detecting the abnormal problem stop the burn?

heck it might have got worse and depressurized the station.

how many were asleep at the abort switch?

actually onboard sensors should watch automatically for out of bounds
situations and automatically stop whatever they are doing...........

to give people time to look at things........

major major screw up- Hide quoted text -

shouldnt somerone or some system have stopped the burn?

hey were shaking bad here,...........

dead silence as the atmosphere evacuated the station.

would hittinmg the big red safety button be better?

heck they are low tech had them in high school shop for bad events
Old February 5th 09, 08:39 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Yes, I often wonder about the media's take on things. How long was the
problem in fact? If they had been really worried I'd imagine they would have
shoved everyone into the Russian segment just in case. Its probably a bit of
an embarrassment to anyone who's experiment needs steady state micro gravity
though.

Brian

Email:

Old February 5th 09, 04:49 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

On Feb 4, 9:52*am, bob haller safety advocate wrote:
my question so the commander feels vibration like never before.

why didnt someone detecting the abnormal problem stop the burn?

heck it might have got worse and depressurized the station.

how many were asleep at the abort switch?

actually onboard sensors should watch automatically for out of bounds
situations and automatically stop whatever they are doing...........

to give people time to look at things........

major major screw up

As usual, you get it wrong. Always looking for the bad

The crew was never in danger and it wasn't a major screw up. The
vibrations were caused by the thrusters shutting down
Old February 5th 09, 05:20 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Yes, I often wonder about the media's take on things. How long was the
problem in fact? If they had been really worried I'd imagine they would have
shoved everyone into the Russian segment just in case.

Not being worried during an event does not preclude becoming worried
after the event.

Its probably a bit of an embarrassment to anyone who's experiment needs steady
state micro gravity though.

Yeah, major out of family vibrations are only an embarrassment. Loads
in excess of those designed for can't possibly cause problems.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old February 5th 09, 05:52 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
John Doe

Derek Lyons wrote:

Yeah, major out of family vibrations are only an embarrassment. Loads
in excess of those designed for can't possibly cause problems.

One should be asking the question on whether Zvezda's engines can
produce loads on the station that the station can't handle.

If you start engine and run for 1 minute and then stop the engine, at
the start and end periods, portion of the ISS will sway under the
changed acceleration. And I would assume that all components of the
station are built to widthstand that. They also widtstand the impact of
docking vehicles.

If you reduce the burn time to a short period that ends up matchin
harmonic frequency, then yeah, oscillations on the truss and solar
arrays might get out of hand. But we don't know that this is what
happened. The article just speculated on this and how this could cause
the ISS to collapse like the Tacoma Narrows bridge.
Old February 5th 09, 08:41 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

John Doe wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:

Yeah, major out of family vibrations are only an embarrassment. Loads
in excess of those designed for can't possibly cause problems.

One should be asking the question on whether Zvezda's engines can
produce loads on the station that the station can't handle.

If you start engine and run for 1 minute and then stop the engine, at
the start and end periods, portion of the ISS will sway under the
changed acceleration. And I would assume that all components of the
station are built to widthstand that. They also widtstand the impact of
docking vehicles.

If you reduce the burn time to a short period that ends up matchin
harmonic frequency, then yeah, oscillations on the truss and solar
arrays might get out of hand. But we don't know that this is what
happened.

Did you even read the article? While sober?

D.