Titan IVB question

Old September 12th 03, 01:07 AM
James Wentworth

Default Titan IVB question

Hello All,

I have a question about something I saw in the photos of this week's Titan
IVB launch. It is a phenomenon I've also seen in pictures of Titan III
launches going back to the first Titan IIIC in 1965.

In this week's launch the two liquid propellant core stage engines were not
firing at liftoff (they ignited at about T+2 minutes), yet they were lit up
white inside the nozzle bells and some kind of vapor was falling from their
nozzles. Was it a low-pressure flow of only fuel or oxidizer through the
engines to serve as a coolant against the radiant heat from the adjacent
solid rocket motor plumes?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help. -- J. Jason Wentworth

Old September 14th 03, 09:32 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
James Wentworth wrote:
In this week's launch the two liquid propellant core stage engines were not
firing at liftoff (they ignited at about T+2 minutes), yet they were lit up
white inside the nozzle bells and some kind of vapor was falling from their
nozzles.

The vapor may just be condensation, in the low-pressure zone in the wake
of the nozzles. You can see this above airliner wings when landing in
humid air.

Similarly, the apparent illumination may be light from the SRB plumes
lighting up either the condensation or a protective nozzle plug.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old September 19th 03, 11:11 PM
Gunter Krebs

We have discussed this matter some time ago in one of the sci.space.*
groups.
Finaly, i got this mail from LockMart to clarify:

Betreff: Titan-4 core engines questions
Datum: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:49:47 -0600
Von: "McCollum, Evan D"
An: '"

The Stg I engines are protected from the Solids gasses by a boattail, a

heat
shield and the nozzles have exit closures that come off when they start as
the solids burn down. The image just shows gasses from the solids

swirling
around the stg I engines.

Evan McCollum

Gunter Krebs
www.skyrocket.de/space

Pot-of-gold question Blurrt Science 1 June 30th 04 12:19 AM
Titan 4s costly AllanStern Space Shuttle 9 February 17th 04 05:02 AM
Old Caltech Telescope Yields New Titan Science Ron Baalke Science 0 September 23rd 03 05:50 AM
Will the real Titan II 1st stage stand up Rusty B Technology 0 August 28th 03 06:42 PM
NASA Selects Winning Student Design For Titan Aerial Vehicle Ron Baalke Technology 0 August 7th 03 06:08 AM