ATK Plans Commercial Ares I

Old April 11th 08, 06:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Default ATK Plans Commercial Ares I

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
Certainly there was a lot of testing at the time to set limits on things
like vibrations. I don't think that vibrations which would impair the
crew's ability to function would not be tolerated, let alone vibrations
which could potentially injure the crew.

Too many not's in the above. Vibrations which would impair the ability of
the crew to function would not be tolerated.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old April 11th 08, 07:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Apr 11, 12:02 pm, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:
"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote:
My guess is, not well considering the vibration issues with Ares I.

I always wonder how this group would have reacted had it existed back
in the early 60's...

In the early 60's every type of launch vehicle was pretty dangerous. But
times change. Over the history of the shuttle program, there have been
zero
catastrophic SSME events in all those flights. But there was one, very
notable, catastrophic SRB event.

Um, so what? We aren't discussing catastrophic failures of a flying
vehicle, but rather vibration problems with a vehicle being designed.
(Or more correctly Pronouncing The Vehicle Doomed because of them.)

Certainly there was a lot of testing at the time to set limits on things
like vibrations. I don't think that vibrations which would impair the
crew's ability to function would not be tolerated, let alone vibrations
which could potentially injure the crew.

And even if it is solvable to the satisfaction of commercial customers,
that
still doesn't mean that commercial customers have much motivation to pick
Ares I over a Delta IV Heavy (or even an Atlas V Heavy). That is, unless
the government starts subsidizing Ares I launches like it did with the
shuttle.

You have the costs of the Ares IC(ommercial)? Do share please!

Like I said, it pretty much depends on what NASA would decide. I'm assuming
Michoud would still build the tanks for the upper stage

Just some clarification. Michoud is not an organization, it is a GOCO
facility. LM makes the ET and Boeing will be making the Ares I
upperstages there. Aslo LM will make CEV major assemblies there. So
3 separate organizations in one facility. NASA has a limited
residence office there with very few people.

But back on topic, Ares 1 as a commercial vehicle may be limited by
the presence of Boeing as a associate contractor,

Old April 12th 08, 09:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

:
: I always wonder how this group would have reacted had it existed back
: in the early 60's...
:
:"It'll never fly, Mr Hughes".
:

Nobody would have dared to say that. We've got a large building in
Tucson, Arizona, with a big open interior span that is designed to
withstand multi-ton snow loads because Howard hadn't decided where he
wanted to build it when he had it designed.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world." -- Mary Shafer, NASA Dryden