ATK Plans Commercial Ares I

Old April 10th 08, 05:11 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default ATK Plans Commercial Ares I

See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us

I wonder how well that's going to work out.
Old April 10th 08, 05:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote in message
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us

I wonder how well that's going to work out.

Development cost has already been taken care of by the U.S. taxpayer, so
costs will be lower than if they had developed this thing for commercial
purposes to begin with. However, it's still going to be an expensive
option, compared to the Delta IV Heavy as the SRB's are not built to
commercial standards - they're also big; only used on the Ares 1 and this
will make it prohibitively expensive also.

Old April 10th 08, 08:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

"Alan Erskine" wrote:

wrote in message
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us

I wonder how well that's going to work out.

Development cost has already been taken care of by the U.S. taxpayer, so
costs will be lower than if they had developed this thing for commercial
purposes to begin with. However, it's still going to be an expensive
option, compared to the Delta IV Heavy as the SRB's are not built to
commercial standards - they're also big; only used on the Ares 1 and this
will make it prohibitively expensive also.

Not to mention - where in hell are they going to assemble and launch
it? New assembly building and pads?

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old April 10th 08, 02:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

wrote in message
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us

I wonder how well that's going to work out.

My guess is, not well considering the vibration issues with Ares I. If they
launch from KSC, they'd have to work out how much money to pay NASA for the
use of their launch facilities. That and the US already has Atlas V and
Delta IV flying today and they almost certainly provide a much smoother ride
to orbit.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old April 10th 08, 02:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Not to mention - where in hell are they going to assemble and launch
it? New assembly building and pads?

If launching from KSC, I'd think they'd try to work out some arrangement
with NASA where they would pay for the use of the VAB, crawlers, and pads.
Much cheaper than building new facilities.

I wonder if it would be possible to use SLC-6 at Vandenberg for Ares I? It
was, after all, originally built to support shuttle launches. According to
Wikipedia, SLC-6 is currently configured for Delta IV launches, up to Delta
IV Heavy. So I suppose it all depends on what types of changes were made to
support Delta IV Heavy.

Jeff

Old April 10th 08, 03:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:17:24 -0400, in a place far, far away, "Jeff
Findley" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

wrote in message
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us

I wonder how well that's going to work out.

My guess is, not well considering the vibration issues with Ares I. If they
launch from KSC, they'd have to work out how much money to pay NASA for the
use of their launch facilities. That and the US already has Atlas V and
Delta IV flying today and they almost certainly provide a much smoother ride
to orbit.

I'm wondering if this is just a PR move to maintain political support
for the program by show^H^H^H^Hpretending that it has applications
beyond NASA missions.
Old April 10th 08, 04:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Apr 10, 9:59 am, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

I wonder if it would be possible to use SLC-6 at Vandenberg for Ares I? It
was, after all, originally built to support shuttle launches. According to
Wikipedia, SLC-6 is currently configured for Delta IV launches, up to Delta
IV Heavy. So I suppose it all depends on what types of changes were made to
support Delta IV Heavy.

Jeff

It too far removed from the shuttle configuration. It can handle Ares
I no more than SLC-37 can
Old April 10th 08, 04:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Apr 10, 10:42 am, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:17:24 -0400, in a place far, far away, "Jeff
Findley" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

wrote in message
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...p?channel=busa...

I wonder how well that's going to work out.

My guess is, not well considering the vibration issues with Ares I. If they
launch from KSC, they'd have to work out how much money to pay NASA for the
use of their launch facilities. That and the US already has Atlas V and
Delta IV flying today and they almost certainly provide a much smoother ride
to orbit.

I'm wondering if this is just a PR move to maintain political support
for the program by show^H^H^H^Hpretending that it has applications
beyond NASA missions.

I would agree. It is just spin and not really viable. The Ares I
upperstage is not designed for restarts, which makes it unsuitable for
GTO missions. Also, Centaur 3rd stage? Yeah, like ULA is going to do
that, not mention LC-39 mods needed which aren't going to be
considered with the Ares I mods

Old April 10th 08, 04:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

wrote in message
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us

I wonder how well that's going to work out.

My guess is, not well considering the vibration issues with Ares I.

I always wonder how this group would have reacted had it existed back
in the early 60's...

D.

Old April 10th 08, 04:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

wrote in message
See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us

I wonder how well that's going to work out.

My guess is, not well considering the vibration issues with Ares I. If they
launch from KSC, they'd have to work out how much money to pay NASA for the
use of their launch facilities. That and the US already has Atlas V and
Delta IV flying today and they almost certainly provide a much smoother ride
to orbit.

Further thoughts:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/arch...resh_hell.html