Nice Solar Prominences Today (PST Image)

Old May 7th 06, 09:27 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar

Default Nice Solar Prominences Today (PST Image)

"David Cash" wrote in message
Hi to the group,

I thought I'd post an image taken this morning (Saturday May 6th) of some
nice solar prominences. The image is he
http://www.djcash.demon.co.uk/astro/...ay_06_2006.jpg
The image was taken using my new Coronado PST with a Phillips Toucam Pro
webcam without a barlow. Two sets of AVI files were used to build the
resulting composite image. Each set was exposed differently so that disc

and
the fainter prominences could be shown.
Has anybody else managed to get an image showing these prominences today?
I'd be interested in seeing them.

You seem to have captured more prominence details than the Catania
observatory did in their picture taken just 21 minutes earlier
http://web.ct.astro.it/sun/solec.jpg : but it is my general observation
that the 40mm aperture PST at 50 x magnification consistently shows more
prominences and better details in those prominences than can be seen either
on Catania observatory or Kanzelhoehe (
http://www.solobskh.ac.at/docs/latest_frame_en.html ) web-published
pictures.

Anthony ( with PST at 30 km east of London )

Old May 7th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar

On Sun, 7 May 2006 09:27:23 +0100, "Anthony Stokes"
wrote:

"David Cash" wrote in message
[...]

PST is a great scope and can certainly capture the detail when pushed.
It does help having something to practice on though and AR875 has been
a great help over the last couple of weeks...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060422.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060424.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060426.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060429.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060501.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060503.html
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old May 7th 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar

On Sun, 7 May 2006 13:52:14 +0100, "David Cash"
wrote:

Hi Pete,

I've been looking at your PST images over the last few weeks and decided to
get PST to see if I could get images as good as yours. I agree that the PST
is capable of some good images, however as is usual in astronomy it's the
local atmospheric seeing conditions and turbulence that ultimately limit was
is achievable at any location.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060422.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060424.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060426.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060429.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060501.html
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/solar/ha-20060503.html

Hi David,

The seeing in Selsey is often good but not *that* good! On occasion,
the 5x image was so jumpy that it would almost shift out of the field
of view. The big seeing blobs that occur in the afternoon shift large
chunks of the image but within the chunks, the detail held together
pretty well. I wouldn't say that the seeing was particularly
exceptional for any of the captures I took. A lot were taken while
dodging cloud and the seeing around the edge of clouds is often very
poor.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk