Zero gravity

Old January 16th 04, 04:43 AM
Jon Young

Default Zero gravity

ZERO GRAVITY

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they
quickly discovered that
ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To
combat this problem,
NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 million
developing a pen that writes
in zero gravity, upside down, on almost any surface
including glass and at
temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300
C.

The Russians used a pencil.

Enjoy paying your taxes.
Old January 16th 04, 02:42 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Incorrect. The Fisher Pen Co. developed the pen using its own money and
then sold the pens to NASA. Fisher made the pen profitable by marketing
them to the public as well.

I thought they gave them to NASA, as a publicity trick? Same deal, I
suppose, from their POV; unit sales can't have been high on that
contract.

As an idle detail, was the ballpoint itself developed privately or by a
gov't? I know one of the big drivers initially was getting something
which would write in an unpressurised high-altitude cockpit, but not
sure if it was a serendipitous appearance or a directed project.

The Russians used a pencil.

Pencils are no good in micro-g either. They shed graphite dust that floats
around the cockpit, is both an eye and inhalation hazard, and can get into
switches and electronics. The Russians eventually figured that out as well,
and started buying Fisher space pens.

It's both conductive and flammable, as well. Something I really wouldn't
have wanted in an O2-rich atmosphere...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old January 17th 04, 12:18 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Andrew Gray wrote in
:

In article , Jorge R. Frank
wrote:

Incorrect. The Fisher Pen Co. developed the pen using its own money
and then sold the pens to NASA. Fisher made the pen profitable by
marketing them to the public as well.

I thought they gave them to NASA, as a publicity trick? Same deal, I
suppose, from their POV; unit sales can't have been high on that
contract.

As an idle detail, was the ballpoint itself developed privately or by
a gov't?

Snopes.com has answers to both questions:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

(Fisher gave NASA samples for testing; once the pens were approved for
spaceflight NASA bought 400 pens at $2.95 each. Fisher charged no
development costs to the government.)

The Russians used a pencil.

Pencils are no good in micro-g either. They shed graphite dust that
floats around the cockpit, is both an eye and inhalation hazard, and
can get into switches and electronics. The Russians eventually
figured that out as well, and started buying Fisher space pens.

It's both conductive and flammable, as well. Something I really
wouldn't have wanted in an O2-rich atmosphere...

Yup.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old January 17th 04, 03:00 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Rick DeNatale wrote in
news
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:42:23 +0000, Andrew Gray wrote:

As an idle detail, was the ballpoint itself developed privately or by
a gov't? I know one of the big drivers initially was getting
something which would write in an unpressurised high-altitude
cockpit, but not sure if it was a serendipitous appearance or a
directed project.

It was privately developed. The first ballpoints were produced by the
Biro brothers in 1935, and first produced in Argentina in the 40's
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/in...s/story055.htm

Thanks for the correction - I misunderstood Andrew's question.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.

Old January 17th 04, 04:34 AM
Pat Flannery

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Snopes.com has answers to both questions:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

(Fisher gave NASA samples for testing; once the pens were approved for
spaceflight NASA bought 400 pens at $2.95 each. Fisher charged no
development costs to the government.)

How many times have we been through this? Next will be Boris The Moon
Monkey, and Neil Armstrong saying "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you
are." ...no...wait...

Pat

Old January 17th 04, 05:14 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Snopes.com has answers to both questions:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

(Fisher gave NASA samples for testing; once the pens were approved for
spaceflight NASA bought 400 pens at $2.95 each. Fisher charged no
development costs to the government.)

How many times have we been through this? Next will be Boris The Moon
Monkey, and Neil Armstrong saying "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you
are." ...no...wait...

Didn't he say, "Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson...?"

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old January 17th 04, 07:43 AM
Pat Flannery

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Didn't he say, "Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson...?"

No, Major Don West would say that to Maureen when he was performing
"routine maintenance" on her while her dorky husband was screwing around
with the robot.

Pat