How Important is a Comet"s Tail?

Old November 24th 04, 12:32 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double-A Thank you for the answers. Interesting one tail made of
dust(solid particles) and the other say of steamy ammonia, frozen
methane, water.and perhaps amino acid.(melting away) . Might this be a
good reason for its ion state(positive charge) "that the atoms are short
on electrons because the solar wind has kicked them loose? " Could I
create a theory that comets and lightning balls have something in
common? If I was an astronomer,and like all astronomers had lots of
time to do their work I would spend a year just on comets. Comets are
tricky stuff. Bert

Old November 28th 04, 01:26 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double-A Well how ball lightning and comets relate goes like this.
Both carry a charge going through space, Both must loose some of their
charge when going through space,and all of it when striking an object.
Could be that ball lightning has a tail,and could have some dust mixed
in its plasma. Double-A hearing a lot on TV about aids in America
increasing. I'm a little worried about our use of drugs is creating a
stronger and stronger strain of the HIV. Right now it is transmitted by
sex,and blood. If it ever can be contracted by flies,or mosquito bites
we will see a complete shut down on travel. people will be afraid to go
out. Billions will die It could have all begun by a comets tail that
the Earth went through and like a virus never detected. As big
as the universe is its the microscopic sizes that effect humankind Bert

Old November 30th 04, 10:20 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Nightbat Never seen ball lighning here in Florida. But when I was 7
years old living in my granfathers aparment in Ma A lightning storm
came up I was playing in the front room on the floor(all alone.) the
front window was open and a flash of light came through the open bottom
half of the window and hit a large metal standing lamp. It knocked the
lamp- over,and I had great pain like I was hit by a stun gun.of today I
believe that was ball lightning.I was blamed for knocking the heavy
lamp- over,and breaking it. Who believes you when you are seven? who
believes me now that I'm 76 Go figure Bert.

Old December 1st 04, 02:24 PM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Hi Nightbat Never seen ball lighning here in Florida. But when I was 7
years old living in my granfathers aparment in Ma A lightning storm
came up I was playing in the front room on the floor(all alone.) the
front window was open and a flash of light came through the open bottom
half of the window and hit a large metal standing lamp. It knocked the
lamp- over,and I had great pain like I was hit by a stun gun.of today I
believe that was ball lightning.I was blamed for knocking the heavy
lamp- over,and breaking it. Who believes you when you are seven? who
believes me now that I'm 76 Go figure Bert.

nightbat

I trust you Bert, and unless someone has had a chance to observe
induced high voltage over neutral surface ball lightning they wouldn't
know what to make of it. Florida homes I understand normally have poured
cement floors and does have the most close ground and consistent
lightening bolts I have ever observed. I knew there had to be a reason
you seem touched all these years besides Indian mushrooms and all that
Bud Light. Look up skin effect theory of transmission of electric
conductance on properties. However the Ma home floor you were playing on
was probably dry wood which normally acts as an excellent insulator but
the open window, including high built up moisture and static in the air,
together with the old wall single grounded plugged in attractive metal
lamp could have acted as a limited active groundfault. Had you been
closer to the lamp or window the result may have been worst. It is for
this reason all modern present electric appliances now require a third
positive grounding plug to prevent against appliance housing open
isolated ground short. If a traveling bolt happened to be attracted to
the limited but attractive grounded metal lamp and you, you're lucky to
have made it through the experience. Out west were the water table is
sometimes very low the phone company reminds folks not to be on the
regular line service during a thunderstorm because of the possibility of
ground fault lightning strike transference occurring. The use of
wireless phone or ground fault shielded devices is advised when their
emergency use is required. They should have believed you Bert when your
grand folks rushed in to see what the noise was about and saw your wide
eyed look and spiked hair standing straight up.

the nightbat

Old December 1st 04, 10:45 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi nightbat so nicely done(good science). Truth is I never told this
story before. I don't know if my hair was standing up??/ Still I can
remember stuff when I was 7. That was 1935 and it was for me he best of
times,and the worse of times. bert