Strange light in the sky...

Old March 2nd 04, 02:37 AM

Default Strange light in the sky...

Ever since summer I've noticed a bright light in the sky, at first I thought
it was a star but I could not see any others. I'm located just south of
Toronto Ontario Canada. This light appears towards the northwestern part of
the sky and I can only see it at night and when it's clear...So I'm left
wondering what it is exactly...Star? Satellite? Other? Any information would
be great as I see it just about every night and it's driving me crazy...

Old March 2nd 04, 03:02 AM
The Ancient One

xxx wrote in message ...
Ever since summer I've noticed a bright light in the sky, at first I

thought
it was a star but I could not see any others. I'm located just south of
Toronto Ontario Canada. This light appears towards the northwestern part

of
the sky and I can only see it at night and when it's clear...So I'm left
wondering what it is exactly...Star? Satellite? Other? Any information

would
be great as I see it just about every night and it's driving me crazy...

Venus is extremely bright in the evenings right now.

Old March 2nd 04, 03:25 AM
Carl Burgess

it could be the planet venus

Old March 2nd 04, 04:01 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

xxx wrote in :

Ever since summer I've noticed a bright light in the sky, at first I
thought it was a star but I could not see any others. I'm located just
south of Toronto Ontario Canada. This light appears towards the
northwestern part of the sky and I can only see it at night and when
it's clear...So I'm left wondering what it is exactly...Star?
Satellite? Other? Any information would be great as I see it just
about every night and it's driving me crazy...

I would say the planet Venus.

http://www.stargazing.net/astropc

Download Cartes Du Ceil. Tell it that the location of your observatory is
Toronto, (it has the Lat & Lon of your city built in). Set the time of day
to say 8.30pm and click on the W (West) button. That will show you the
western view from your site at that time. You will see Venus the brightest
object in your western sky.

L.
Old March 2nd 04, 04:21 AM
Martin R. Howell

xxx wrote in message ...
Ever since summer I've noticed a bright light in the sky, at first I

thought
it was a star but I could not see any others. I'm located just south of
Toronto Ontario Canada. This light appears towards the northwestern part

of
the sky and I can only see it at night and when it's clear...So I'm left
wondering what it is exactly...Star? Satellite? Other? Any information

would
be great as I see it just about every night and it's driving me crazy...

I don't think you are talking about Venus. Venus is in the southwestern
part of the sky. You also say that you see it "about every night." You
would be seeing Venus_every_clear night now and in fact, it is bright enough
that the night would not have to be very clear for the planet to be visible.

I can't think of what you are seeing in the northwestern sky which is
catching your attention.

Martin
Remove "ilikestars" from email address

Old March 2nd 04, 05:51 AM

xxx wrote in message ...
Ever since summer I've noticed a bright light in the sky, at first I

thought
it was a star but I could not see any others. I'm located just south of
Toronto Ontario Canada. This light appears towards the northwestern part

of
the sky and I can only see it at night and when it's clear...So I'm left
wondering what it is exactly...Star? Satellite? Other? Any information

would
be great as I see it just about every night and it's driving me crazy...

I've been able to see it almost every night since the beginning of summer
always in the same position in the sky. It might have just been me but I've
seen it "pulse" in brightness of light and lower in the sky as if it was
setting like the sun/moon.

Old March 2nd 04, 06:40 AM
Martin R. Howell

I've been able to see it almost every night since the beginning of summer
always in the same position in the sky.

"summer," what summer are you talking about? Last summer? Are you saying
that this object is holding its position in the sky as the seasons
progressed?

So long.