Perseids summary image 11/12 August (22 meteors)

Old August 14th 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

Default Perseids summary image 11/12 August (22 meteors)

Here's a summary of all trails imaged on the night before maximum. The
two b&w images were taken with a CCD camera fitted with a 28mm f/2.8
lens. The system gave me a field of view approximately 10 degrees
across. The last image shows a pin-point meteor very close to the
radiant position (as it should be of course!).

The two central images in the second row show a glow through Taurus. I
believe this is the Zodiacal Light but I'm currently seeking an
expert's opinion on this one before I post up the full frame images.

The summary file contains 22 meteor trails and is just over 1Mb in
size.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/meteors...07_summary.jpg

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 14th 07, 10:42 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:28:58 +0100, Pete Lawrence
wrote:

Here's a summary of all trails imaged on the night before maximum. The
two b&w images were taken with a CCD camera fitted with a 28mm f/2.8
lens. The system gave me a field of view approximately 10 degrees
across. The last image shows a pin-point meteor very close to the
radiant position (as it should be of course!).

The two central images in the second row show a glow through Taurus. I
believe this is the Zodiacal Light but I'm currently seeking an
expert's opinion on this one before I post up the full frame images.

The summary file contains 22 meteor trails and is just over 1Mb in
size.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/meteors...07_summary.jpg

Here's the summary image for the maximum night (12/13 August). I've
still to do a fine sweep of all the images taken but that'll have to
wait for a bit. Total number of meteors imaged over two nights: 47.

Old August 14th 07, 11:25 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Andy G

Default Perseids summary image Brilliant work yet again

Superb!

I only saw a few as I had only just finished having dinner at Rick Steins
Sea Food Restaurant in Padstow. So made a quick dash across to the harbour
to have a peek.

Well done again Pete

Cheers

Andy

Mr Andrew R Green B.Sc(Hons) FRAS.
Fellow Royal Astronomical Society
Director & Resident Astronomer StarDome,
Director Anglo-Australian Astronomy Education Partnership

Old August 15th 07, 05:13 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
klm

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Here's a summary of all trails imaged on the night before maximum. The
two b&w images were taken with a CCD camera fitted with a 28mm f/2.8
lens. The system gave me a field of view approximately 10 degrees
across. The last image shows a pin-point meteor very close to the
radiant position (as it should be of course!).

The two central images in the second row show a glow through Taurus. I
believe this is the Zodiacal Light but I'm currently seeking an
expert's opinion on this one before I post up the full frame images.

The summary file contains 22 meteor trails and is just over 1Mb in
size.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/meteors...07_summary.jpg

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Very nice. I wish you had a grating to put on your camera, to get
a few meteor spectra!? Ever thought about it? With your skill
it would not take much. If you were closer I would give you a
full ap grating for your camera.

I got all packed up here then clouds moved in Sunday. Never fails.

Jerry

Old August 15th 07, 06:50 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Ben

Excellent images Pete with a crafty leaning toward
composition.

Where is the radiant point of the shower? I always thought
it was in that little circlet of stars ESE of Mirfak near
Lambda Perseii and NGC 1528 but when I traced back every
bright Perseid I saw it seemed to coming fron a point between
Eta and Gamma.

Ben

Old August 15th 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:50:39 -0700, Ben wrote:

Excellent images Pete with a crafty leaning toward
composition.

Where is the radiant point of the shower? I always thought
it was in that little circlet of stars ESE of Mirfak near
Lambda Perseii and NGC 1528 but when I traced back every
bright Perseid I saw it seemed to coming fron a point between
Eta and Gamma.

The radiant moves considerably throughout the activity period of the
shower Ben. On the night of maximum draw a line from gamma to eta and
turn left by 90 degrees. Move by the gamma-eta distance again and
that's where it lies.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 16th 07, 02:53 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Ben

Thanks for the info, Pete. It seems like the radiant point
ought to migrate but I lost touch with it.

Ben