NASA Constellation video now shows Ocean Splashdown

Old December 23rd 08, 07:03 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default NASA Constellation video now shows Ocean Splashdown

Looks like the airbag system for landing on land is out, the latest
video shows an expensive Apollo-style splashdown. Also the Altair
ascent stage looks mighty smaller as they leave the airlock behind
when they take off from the lunar surface.
Old December 23rd 08, 07:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
kT

Default Rube Goldberg - NASA's New Chief Engineer

M wrote:

Looks like the airbag system for landing on land is out, the latest
video shows an expensive Apollo-style splashdown. Also the Altair
ascent stage looks mighty smaller as they leave the airlock behind
when they take off from the lunar surface.

Introducing Rube Goldberg!

NASA's new administrator and chief engineer.
Old December 24th 08, 02:30 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"M" wrote in message
Looks like the airbag system for landing on land is out, the latest
video shows an expensive Apollo-style splashdown. Also the Altair
ascent stage looks mighty smaller as they leave the airlock behind
when they take off from the lunar surface.

Oh goodie. So now we have to task Naval resources to recover this wonderful
capsule. That's gotta help with costs.

What's the benefit of Ares I over Shuttle again?

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old December 24th 08, 04:38 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
"M" wrote in message
Looks like the airbag system for landing on land is out, the latest
video shows an expensive Apollo-style splashdown. Also the Altair
ascent stage looks mighty smaller as they leave the airlock behind
when they take off from the lunar surface.

Oh goodie. So now we have to task Naval resources to recover this
wonderful capsule. That's gotta help with costs.

It helps the NASA budget if NASA can talk the Navy into footing the bill for
the recovery missions. If the Navy balks at footing the bill, can you
imagine the potential cost to NASA for Orion recovery? Perhaps the SRB
recovery ships could be used for this, but that only works if NASA plans on
splashdowns near the east Florida coast.

What's the benefit of Ares I over Shuttle again?

Ares I is an over cost, under-performing dog which needs put out of its
misery. Once Ares I is dead, NASA should be informed that a shuttle/saturn
derived launch vehicle is simply not politically acceptable. Time to switch
to buying launches from US launch providers.

Payload not big enough for a throw-away (Apollo) approach? then maybe it's
time NASA invest in developing the technologies for LEO fuel depots. This
would be a breakthrough space technology and would put the US ahead of the
rest of the world.

Jeff
--
"Many things that were acceptable in 1958 are no longer acceptable today.
My own standards have changed too." -- Freeman Dyson

Old December 24th 08, 07:49 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

"M" wrote in message
[...]

With Space station missions in high inclination orbits it would limit
the Orion spacecraft to land close to the Cape only on certain orbits.
I really doubt if the capsule will have the cross range capability of
the Space Shuttle.
For returns form lunar missions it could be a bit more flexible.
Old December 24th 08, 07:51 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Dec 23, 8:30*pm, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:
"M" wrote in message

Looks like the airbag system for landing on land is out, the latest
video shows an expensive Apollo-style splashdown. Also the Altair
ascent stage looks mighty smaller as they leave the airlock behind
when they take off from the lunar surface.

Oh goodie. *So now we have to task Naval resources to recover this wonderful
capsule. *That's gotta help with costs.

What's the benefit of Ares I over Shuttle again?

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Well, at least it has an survivable abort capability throughout its
entire flight regime....
Old December 26th 08, 10:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote:
"M" wrote in message

Looks like the airbag system for landing on land is out, the latest
video shows an expensive Apollo-style splashdown. Also the Altair
ascent stage looks mighty smaller as they leave the airlock behind
when they take off from the lunar surface.

Oh goodie. So now we have to task Naval resources to recover this
wonderful
capsule. That's gotta help with costs.

What's the benefit of Ares I over Shuttle again?

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Well, at least it has an survivable abort capability throughout its
entire flight regime....

We'll see. My understanding is there's still some question on that. Of
course keep in mind that when an SRB DOES fail, it's generally pretty
catastrophic.

Old December 28th 08, 12:18 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"M" wrote in message
Looks like the airbag system for landing on land is out, the latest
video shows an expensive Apollo-style splashdown. Also the Altair
ascent stage looks mighty smaller as they leave the airlock behind
when they take off from the lunar surface.

Oh goodie. So now we have to task Naval resources to recover this
wonderful capsule. That's gotta help with costs.

It helps the NASA budget if NASA can talk the Navy into footing the bill
for the recovery missions.

Good luck with that one. I can't see any reason the Navy would do that.
Especially with their assets being used for other missions right now. I
highly doubt they'd want to task a CBG to the mission and their LHDs, while
perhaps ideal, I'm sure are going to be busy with things like the Somali
pirates and other actions.

If the Navy balks at footing the bill, can you imagine the potential cost
to NASA for Orion recovery? Perhaps the SRB recovery ships could be used
for this, but that only works if NASA plans on splashdowns near the east
Florida coast.

Which might make sense, but I'm not sure they're really suited for that.

What's the benefit of Ares I over Shuttle again?

Ares I is an over cost, under-performing dog which needs put out of its
misery. Once Ares I is dead, NASA should be informed that a
shuttle/saturn derived launch vehicle is simply not politically
acceptable. Time to switch to buying launches from US launch providers.

Agreed.