MSL delayed till 2011

Old December 4th 08, 08:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default MSL delayed till 2011

.....as was suspected in recent weeks:
This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget program.

Pat
Old December 4th 08, 10:13 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Dec 4, 11:27 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
....as was suspected in recent weeks:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7765818.stm
This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget program.

Pat

With that nifty plank of Mars wood setting in plain sight, as such
sort of changes most everything, doesn't it.

An old railway sleeper found on Mars?

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...a5bc47d?hl=en#
On Dec 2, 3:21 am, Neil Gerace wrote:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...l_L-B118R1.jpg

Opportunity / Sol 115, May 25, 2004
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...nity_n115.html

Makes this nifty plank of Mars wood from a fairly old archived image
kind of weird. Wonder why it was intentionally withheld for so many
years. Apparently the faith-based rusemasters that are about to lose
their public funded jobs are starting to uncontrollably sweat.

Perhaps keeping our public media focus on Mars instead of Venus is
clearly their priority number one.

-

That's certainly a good one, as though looking kind of "old railway
sleeper" artificial. (? apparently Mars once had trees to make rail
ties?)

Seems they ran directly over the top of it, so it's not such a large
rail sleeper/tie as you'd think.

However, small Mars folks shouldn't have needed much bigger than
quarter-scale.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”
Old December 4th 08, 10:32 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Dec 4, 1:15 pm, Hi Pat! wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:27:54 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget program.

...But I think it's better off that they get the thing right before
they come up with another MPL or Beaglesplat.
OM

That's true enough, especially since we really do not have a viable
fly-by-rocket lander of what it's going to take in order to avoid the
direct hard landing that has no last second hope of avoiding a bad/
fatal kind of landing.

In other words, this spendy mission needs at least a few seconds worth
of fly-by-rocket hang time before dropping onto the deck.

~ BG

Old December 5th 08, 01:00 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
jonathan[_3_]

"BradGuth" wrote in message
On Dec 4, 11:27 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
....as was suspected in recent
weeks:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7765818.stm
This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget program.

Pat

With that nifty plank of Mars wood setting in plain sight, as such
sort of changes most everything, doesn't it.

An old railway sleeper found on Mars?

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...a5bc47d?hl=en#

That's nothing. Here's the secret entrance to Mars Underground!

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2365L7M1.HTML

Old December 5th 08, 03:56 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Damon Hill[_4_]

wrote:

This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget
program.

...But I think it's better off that they get the thing right before
they come up with another MPL or Beaglesplat.

I'm getting real pessimistic about living long enough to see a
manned Mars landing.

--Damon
Old December 5th 08, 05:20 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 20:56:41 -0600, in a place far, far away, Damon
Hill made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

wrote:

This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget
program.

...But I think it's better off that they get the thing right before
they come up with another MPL or Beaglesplat.

I'm getting real pessimistic about living long enough to see a
manned Mars landing.

That only means that you're pessimistic about living long.
Old December 5th 08, 01:23 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
telephone...
....as was suspected in recent weeks:
This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget
program.

No surprise. Other (smaller) programs will likely suffer because of this.
After all, the time and money for the overruns has to come from *somewhere*.

Jeff
--
beb - To paraphrase Stephen Colbert, reality has an anti-Ares I bias.

Old December 5th 08, 05:33 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
kT

wrote:

This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget
program.

...But I think it's better off that they get the thing right before
they come up with another MPL or Beaglesplat.

I'm getting real pessimistic about living long enough to see a
manned Mars landing.

Well, you just wasted another five years and another $20 billion dollars
pursuing another 'Constellation' pipe dream, which rightly can't pass a
simple engineering **** test and should have never left the damn napkin.

Doing **** like that every five years isn't going to deliver your goals.
Old December 5th 08, 05:53 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Dec 4, 2:27*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
....as was suspected in recent weeks:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7765818.stm
This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget program.

Pat

Another way to look at it is to not waste the money and work invested
in it already, and to take it slow to make sure that the thing will
work as advertised. They only have one spacecraft and it must not
fail.
Plus it keeps the spacecraft engineers at JPL employed.
Old December 5th 08, 08:42 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Dec 4, 4:00 pm, "jonathan" wrote:
"BradGuth" wrote in message

On Dec 4, 11:27 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

....as was suspected in recent
weeks:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7765818.stm
This will further drive up the costs of the already way-over-budget program.

Pat
With that nifty plank of Mars wood setting in plain sight, as such
sort of changes most everything, doesn't it.
An old railway sleeper found on Mars?

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s..._frm/thread/fd...

That's nothing. Here's the secret entrance to Mars Underground!

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...5468289EFF65C3...

Perhaps these two rather weird/artificial looking items are related.

~ BG