8th Preniversary of 2017 Total Solar Eclipse in North America

Old June 17th 09, 12:59 AM posted to sci.astro
giveitawhirl2008

Default 8th Preniversary of 2017 Total Solar Eclipse in North America

What about astronomy groups, science museums and individuals
celebrating the "preniveraries" of the August 21, 2017, total solar
eclipse in North America? On the Tenth Preniversary, August 21, 2007,
I celebrated by going to the planetarium presentation at my local
science museum and then suggesting this idea to the presenter after
the show. He thought it was a neat idea. I don't know if that museum
started such celebrations because I moved, later.

I did NOT celebrate the Ninth Preniversary, August 21, 2008, probably
because of things going on with me at that time. I have not yet
decided if and how I would celebrate tne Eighth Preniversary of the
2017 Total Solar Eclipse, to occur on this coming August 21. But
unlike most events which you can only be sure of AFTER they happen,
and therefore can only be celebrated by regular ANNIVERSARIES:
astronomical events, within a decently long time frame, can be
celebrated in ADVANCE because their occurance is SURE.

So, clubs and museums, etc., could generate pulbic awareness and
interest with public events on the Preniversaries of major
astronomical events.

I am not attempting to tempt God to show me a thing or two by planning
any more preniversaries, myself. IF they happen, they happen. If the
don't, they don't. But GROUPS and ORGANIZATIONS might find it
worthwhile and not necessarily too presumptuous to have Preniversary
events for the upcoming eclipse.

(Note: decades ago, I found out that this would be the next solar
eclipse in N. America. It seemed a long way off, back the 1970s. But
now....[again, not trying to tempt fate; just noting the event] !

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogl...21Tgoogle.html