"Strange Thin Glowing Cloud, Twice The Diameter Of The Moon"

Old February 21st 07, 01:50 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
ElRon XChile[_2_]

Default "Strange Thin Glowing Cloud, Twice The Diameter Of The Moon"

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message

Latest news, multiple reports, and a great photograph are at
http://www.spaceweather.com/
(image is at
http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod200...add1_strip.jpg)

compare with space events: http://planet4589.org/space/jsr/latest.html

From http://www.habitablezone.com/nexus/i...sp?svcpt=space
A post from someone in australia on another board... // Tuesday, 20
February 2007
Strange Thin Glowing Cloud, Twice The Diameter Of The Moon

just got out of bed and turned on the radio and they were talking to
people who had witnessed this phenonomon. I live in QLD australia,
apparently the witnesses said their was a flash of light in the heavens
about 3am this morning followed by around very thin almost gaseous glowing
cloud that grew over the space of 10 mim to twice the diameter of the
moon. A LOCAL astronomer said he believes it was some kind of explosion in
space, another reported that he felt this cloud was circleing our planet.
I was wondering if this may have something to do with the warnings from a
few other posts with regards to this energy wave, this was seen west of
the southern cross, people are still talking and describing what they
seen, they all say it was the size of the full moon only fuzzy. i dont
think the local radio station would have anything on there site as yet ,
however I will try to get a link to confirm what I am saying is true.

most of the people were a bit scared as they couldnt understand what it
was, one poor woman grabbed her husband and wanted to run. there was
apparently no noise when the flash of light occured.Another guy said he
was walking at 3am ? anyway he ran back home to take a photo, so hopefully
they might use his photo if the station descides to keep following up on
this story. If this belinda sanders who is the woman representer at this
time slot has anything to do with it, then im sure they will, as she is
constantly referring back to this story and asking people to keep ringing
the ststion with their eyewitness accounts.

news report:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200...1.htm?southqld

JimO adds some links to possibly-related phenomena:

http://www.debunker.com/texts/giant_ufo.html

http://www.debunker.com/texts/soviet.html

http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/...rt_000808.html

( c ) The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a
weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from
Venus.

All platitudes aside: yep, after reading what you posted as well as the
information/discusion found in the links you have provided, Mr. Oberg, and
reading what Pat Flannery and others (usenet, habitablezone) have posted I
do concur that it looks most like a rocket burn, but the questions become
what, from whom and what launch site. I do like people's suggestion that it
may be secondary effects from the breakup of space junk, but the center
'light' does still look like an ignited source so the question becomes what
would have re-ignited solid or liquid fuel?

Old February 21st 07, 02:23 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
Terrell Miller

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message

Latest news, multiple reports, and a great photograph are at
http://www.spaceweather.com/
(image is at
http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod200...add1_strip.jpg)

....and the Ewoks go wild

--
Terrell Miller

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the
work of one extraordinary man."
- Elbert Hubbard

Old February 21st 07, 02:41 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
[email protected]

On Feb 20, 4:25 pm, "Jim Oberg" wrote:

A LOCAL astronomer said he believes it was some kind of explosion in space

Apparently so, according to Dr. Tony Phillips, in a post to SeeSat-L:

http://satobs.org/seesat/Feb-2007/0195.html

The Breeze-M upper stage in question shut down prematurely last March,
stranding the Arabsat 4A (06006A / 28943) communications satellite in
a 51.5 deg, 507 X 14701 km orbit. Must have retained a large fraction
of its propellant load. Blowed-up real good!

Ted Molczan

Old February 21st 07, 02:47 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
kT

On Feb 20, 8:41 pm, wrote:
On Feb 20, 4:25 pm, "Jim Oberg" wrote:

A LOCAL astronomer said he believes it was some kind of explosion in space

Apparently so, according to Dr. Tony Phillips, in a post to SeeSat-L:

http://satobs.org/seesat/Feb-2007/0195.html

The Breeze-M upper stage in question shut down prematurely last March,
stranding the Arabsat 4A (06006A / 28943) communications satellite in
a 51.5 deg, 507 X 14701 km orbit. Must have retained a large fraction
of its propellant load. Blowed-up real good!

That's it then.

There oughta be a ****in law.

Old February 21st 07, 04:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jim Oberg

"OM" wrote
...Note that one of the astronomers is Ray Palmer. Now we know where
the Silver Age Atom ran off to at the end if "Infinite Crisis" :-)

Ray Palmer back? He was an old (short) buddy of mine in the early 1970s when
I wrote for his zine 'space world' and we spent cold Wisconsin evenings
telling lies.

Old February 21st 07, 05:49 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
Ugly Bob

From http://www.habitablezone.com/nexus/i...sp?svcpt=space
[...]

Actually, it was the spontaneous ignition of greenhouse gasses from
Stanton Friedmans colorectal region which seem to have propelled
him into the upper atmosphere somehow...

Old February 21st 07, 06:12 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
ElRon XChile[_2_]

. ..

From http://www.habitablezone.com/nexus/i...sp?svcpt=space
[...]

There is a strange and wonderful synchronicity flowing on usenet tonight. He
is an out of work nuclear physicist so it would be perfectly natural for him
to be full of it....

Old February 21st 07, 06:26 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
ElRon XChile[_2_]

"kT" wrote in message
kT wrote:
On Feb 20, 5:46 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
kT wrote:

I think they've pretty much determined it was an upper stage burn.
Upper stage of what? THEMIS?

Figure it out :

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d323/status.html

0014 GMT (7:14 p.m. EST Sat.)

T+plus 73 minutes, 42 seconds. SPACECRAFT SEPARATION!

He took this picture at 17:30 UT on Feb. 19th:

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d323...htimeline.html

T+66:45.1 - Third Stage Ignition - The Thiokol Star 48B solid-fueled
third stage is ignited to deliver the THEMIS satellites into its
intended orbit around Earth.

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d323/070212track.html

I can't explain the time anomaly here. Maybe UT means something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Ok, it's hard to reconcile the time difference.

It must be this then :

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~loomberah/themis.htm

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html

Great find!

Ah, sh*t.... more space junk....

Old February 21st 07, 09:37 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
Pat Flannery

kT wrote:
Figure it out :

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d323/status.html

0014 GMT (7:14 p.m. EST Sat.)

T+plus 73 minutes, 42 seconds. SPACECRAFT SEPARATION!

He took this picture at 17:30 UT on Feb. 19th:

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d323...htimeline.html

T+66:45.1 - Third Stage Ignition - The Thiokol Star 48B solid-fueled
third stage is ignited to deliver the THEMIS satellites into its
intended orbit around Earth.

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d323/070212track.html

I can't explain the time anomaly here. Maybe UT means something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Ah-ha! I though it looked like a solid!
Liquids don't generate that much visible particulate matter.
Check these out BTW: http://www.freqofnature.com/photos/mmiii/
Particularly this one, which is really cool:
http://www.freqofnature.com/photos/mmiii/P9192066.jpg

Pat
Old February 21st 07, 09:43 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
Pat Flannery

kT wrote:

Ok, it's hard to reconcile the time difference.

It must be this then :

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~loomberah/themis.htm

Oh great; first the Chinese ASAT, now this.
Doesn't anyone know how to vent their excess propellants once orbit is
reached?
This thing probably generated a greater amount of orbital debris by
mass than the Chinese one.

Pat