ASTRO: An Eskamo or is it a Clown?

Old November 16th 06, 11:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson

Default ASTRO: An Eskamo or is it a Clown?

It fully saturated in 5 minutes. Surprised me but virtually the entire
size you see in this photo is at 65000+ count. Figured at 1x1 binning
that wouldn't happen that fast but it did. Even the red frames are
fully saturated and it shouldn't have all that much red in it. I guess
I need to learn how to blend in a short exposure of just the center
part. Even some parts of the inner nebula were close to saturation,
over 50K count.

Rick

Richard Crisp wrote:

looks fun Rick

I think you could back off a tad on the stretching to prevent the central
star from saturating. it isn't saturated in the FIT data is it?

if not, then you could mask off the star and select everything else wiht a
bit of feather and probably get the stretching done without slamming the
star against the rails

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

NGC 2392: Another lost on the drive from over a couple months ago.
Probably a bit too processed. Didn't look like it in the Lum frame but
when I added the color it seems too harsh. With Photoshop nearly an
hour's drive away it will have to stay this way for now. Hadn't worked
at 1x1 binning for a while. See I'm out of collimation. Another
project. Rather short exposures as I had to throw most frames out due
to horrid seeing that would roll by then clear up. I picked the best 6
lum and 3 each of color though the red frames were all lousy.

14" LX200R @ f/10, 6x2Lum 3x2RGB each binned 1x1 at half frame,
STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Old November 17th 06, 12:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
It fully saturated in 5 minutes. Surprised me but virtually the entire
size you see in this photo is at 65000+ count. Figured at 1x1 binning that
wouldn't happen that fast but it did. Even the red frames are fully
saturated and it shouldn't have all that much red in it. I guess I need
to learn how to blend in a short exposure of just the center part. Even
some parts of the inner nebula were close to saturation, over 50K count.

Rick

here's what I would recommend if you are wanting to do it as RGB:

shoot it at 3 minutes and see what you get. Stop at an exposure time that
gives you about 55K ADU or slightly lower in the bright portion. I would
guess that time would be between 2.5 and 3.5 minutes

then increase the number of exposures you take. You can build signal if you
take a lot of exposures and use a short enough exposure that things don't
get saturated.

When I last imaged that object I used my 18" scope and emission line filters
so 20 minute exposures were not saturating stars

the first night I shot it in Halpha and had really nice seeing but by the
time I could get clear skies again for shooting with the other filters, it
was total mush

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._6303_page.htm

I used the same optics as in my 18" Stinger 450 classical cassegrain but had
them in the predecessor frame from Resource International which has
subsequently been sold.

Old November 17th 06, 03:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson

When I said 5 minutes I was wrong. They were 2 minute shots. Guess
I'll try one next time if the weather gives me a chance that is.

The RGB isn't as harsh as the filtered did tone things down about 35%.
Central star was still fully saturated however. I never did anything to
the RGB, just balanced the three colors by bringing the background to
the same level to make it black, no curves, sharpening etc. In some
ways it is better. Scope has gotten out of collimation. I had a short
hole last night and got it better but still needs work. I wondered why
the shot of 1333 was off center. Don't know why the secondary moved on
me but it has. Guess the fast temp changes we've had of late (20
degrees F and hour some evenings) has had something to do with it.

Rick

Richard Crisp wrote:

[...]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2392rgb3X2BINNED1X1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	118
Old November 18th 06, 05:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Rick,

Nice improvement in your processing for this version.

George N

Old November 18th 06, 06:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson

This is exactly the same RGB used to make the LRGB. Just that the L
frames at 2 minutes were overexposed. With a better exposed L frame and
even RGB frames (maybe 1 minute?) it should look better but will take a
bunch of them. This is only 3 frames each or 6 minutes for each color.
No processing at all to them other than to equalize the background to
close to black with levels. I didn't expect 2 minutes to be too long
for a frame at 1x1 binning. The central star was fully saturated as
were parts of the nebula. The RGB filters knocked things down enough
the nebula wasn't over exposed but the central star was still fully
saturated. I'm still adjusting from film my film days. 2 minutes
wouldn't have gotten much at all!

Rick

Old November 18th 06, 08:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great detailed shot Rick. I'll have to try to get a decent image of this
nebula one day...

Stefan