Enterprise OV-101 missing OMS pods

Old November 6th 04, 02:39 AM
Allen Newman

Default Enterprise OV-101 missing OMS pods

Pictures of OV-101 in its newly opened museum show that its OMS pods
have been removed sometime in the last year. Anyone know why?

Now you seem them:
http://imageevent.com/ralf/virginia/airmuseum

Now you don't:
http://www.nasa.gov/lb/vision/earth/...nterprise.html
Old November 6th 04, 02:48 AM
Scott Lowther

Allen Newman wrote:

Pictures of OV-101 in its newly opened museum show that its OMS pods
have been removed sometime in the last year. Anyone know why?

Now you seem them:
http://imageevent.com/ralf/virginia/airmuseum

Now you don't:
http://www.nasa.gov/lb/vision/earth/...nterprise.html

Yeesh. it's too fricken' *clean*. It looks like a Buran mockup like this...

Old November 6th 04, 02:54 AM
Kelly McDonald

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:39:13 -0600, Allen Newman
wrote:

Pictures of OV-101 in its newly opened museum show that its OMS pods
have been removed sometime in the last year. Anyone know why?

Now you seem them:
http://imageevent.com/ralf/virginia/airmuseum

Now you don't:
http://www.nasa.gov/lb/vision/earth/...nterprise.html

I don't think that proper OMS pods were ever built for OV-101.

Kelly McDonald

Old November 6th 04, 03:10 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Lowther wrote:

Yeesh. it's too fricken' *clean*. It looks like a Buran mockup like
this...

Was there actually any real equipment in Enterprise's OMS pods? Are
they scrounging for spares for the 3 remaining operational shuttles?

Pat

Old November 6th 04, 03:37 AM
Matthew Ota

The OMS pods were there when I visited Udvar-Hazy two months ago.

Perhaps NASA repossesed them for use in cross-country orbiter ferry flights.

Matthew Ota

Old November 6th 04, 05:19 AM
Richard Kaszeta

Matthew Ota writes:
The OMS pods were there when I visited Udvar-Hazy two months ago.

You sure? The definitely weren't there when I visited on 23 Aug:

http://www.giantspliff.org/space/enterprise.jpg

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Old November 6th 04, 10:44 AM
Derek Lyons

Allen Newman wrote:

Pictures of OV-101 in its newly opened museum show that its OMS pods
have been removed sometime in the last year. Anyone know why?

Now you seem them:
http://imageevent.com/ralf/virginia/airmuseum

Now you don't:
http://www.nasa.gov/lb/vision/earth/...nterprise.html

How can you trust a place that would call a Talos a cruise missile?

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 6th 04, 02:55 PM
Donald Ferree

In article , Allen Newman wrote:

Pictures of OV-101 in its newly opened museum show that its OMS pods
have been removed sometime in the last year. Anyone know why?

Now you seem them:
http://imageevent.com/ralf/virginia/airmuseum

Now you don't:
http://www.nasa.gov/lb/vision/earth/...nterprise.html

The museum workers removed them to work on them. They will be reattached.

Donald
Old November 6th 04, 04:18 PM
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:

How can you trust a place that would call a Talos a cruise missile?

Talos could be used in a surface-to-surface mode as well as its primary
surface-to-air mode, and was jet (ramjet) powered. It also was capable
of carrying the W-30 nuclear warhead of 5 KT yield for attacks on ships
or large formations of aircraft. So yes, you might be able to refer to
it as a sort of cruise missile....although that would be a bit
misleading in regards to its primary function.
In actual wartime service, its main operational use was as a ship
launched long range anti-radiation missile for attacks on North
Vietnamese radar sites: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~buzznau/bmblbee.html

Pat

Old November 6th 04, 05:16 PM
William C. Keel

In sci.space.history Scott Lowther wrote:

Allen Newman wrote:

Pictures of OV-101 in its newly opened museum show that its OMS pods
have been removed sometime in the last year. Anyone know why?

Now you seem them:
http://imageevent.com/ralf/virginia/airmuseum

Now you don't:
http://www.nasa.gov/lb/vision/earth/...nterprise.html

Now that you mention it - I have some pictures from June 21 which
show a distinct lack of OMS pods. (Also missing bits of RCC on
one wing, but that's accounted for). I didn't even notice at the time -
must have been paying too much attention to our 11-year-old as
he ran off toward the Enola Gay...

Bill Keel