May 1961 pamphlet outlining Cape Canaveral's history and then-current

Old February 19th 12, 02:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
rwalker

Default May 1961 pamphlet outlining Cape Canaveral's history and then-current

Found on alt.obituaries for some reason:

May 1961 pamphlet outlining Cape Canaveral's history and then-current
activity, including Banana River NAS/Patrick AFB and the Atlantic
Missile
Range.

http://www.siloworld.net/DOWNLOADS/A...%20Reduced.pdf

Among other bits, it notes that the first missile launch from the Cape
was an Army WAC Corporal mounted on a German V2 (quiet, you in the
back)
July 24, 1950.

Missile launches from Canaveral - diagrams of launch complex 14, maps
and
scads of photos.

http://www.siloworld.net/MISSILE%20%..._canaveral.htm

Old February 26th 12, 07:16 AM posted to sci.space.history
B0b Mosley

On Feb 18, 7:25*pm, rwalker wrote:
Found on alt.obituaries for some reason:

....I'm almost in tears laughing at this turn of phrase used for the
Vanguard photo:

"A Navy Vanguard leaves its launch pad in a hurry."

....To which my mind autofilled with:

"...In hopes of outrunning the usual explosion fast enough to put its
satellite into orbit!"

OM

Old February 27th 12, 05:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
rwalker

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:16:57 -0800 (PST), B0b Mosley
wrote:

On Feb 18, 7:25*pm, rwalker wrote:
Found on alt.obituaries for some reason:

...I'm almost in tears laughing at this turn of phrase used for the
Vanguard photo:

"A Navy Vanguard leaves its launch pad in a hurry."

...To which my mind autofilled with:

"...In hopes of outrunning the usual explosion fast enough to put its
satellite into orbit!"

OM

Ha! I missed that. I'll have to go look at it again.
Old March 7th 12, 09:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
B0b Mosley

wrote:
On Feb 18, 7:25*pm, rwalker wrote:
Found on alt.obituaries for some reason:

...I'm almost in tears laughing at this turn of phrase used for the
Vanguard photo:

"A Navy Vanguard leaves its launch pad in a hurry."

...To which my mind autofilled with:

"...In hopes of outrunning the usual explosion fast enough to put its
satellite into orbit!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * OM

Ha! *I missed that. *I'll have to go look at it again.

....Yeah, it had me in stitches that night, which is probably why my
CVS kicked in and I was in the hospital all last week again trying to
keep from puking my guts out ever 15 minutes. The very fact that they
even mentioned Vanguard at all still was the bigger shock, because
even almost four years later "Kaputnik", "Flopnik" and "Stayputnik"
were still terms of embarrassment everyone would have preferred never
came into being. But the tour guide is still a fun read, and makes me
wish we had enough of a totally active Cape to where such a tour was
still being scheduled with miles of cars getting to drive almost
within spitting range of some of the gantries, especially the older
ones such as those responsible for the "Snark Infested Waters" off the
Cape . Lo for the days when the name "Atlantic Missile Range" still
meant something of awe and pride.

Again, thanks for posting that guide. If only there was a 16mm home
movie or three on YouTube to go with it

OM