astro: ic5070

Old September 3rd 08, 03:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Default astro: ic5070

first light, needs a collimation tweak.....
5x900 seconds
Intes-Micro M73 (7" F3 custom astrograph)
Celestron CI-700 Mount w/Gemini
reduced 50%
--
John N. Gretchen III
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ic5070_half.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	661.5 KB
ID:	2163
Old September 3rd 08, 09:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

I re-stacked this and that helped the field rotation, also brightened it
up some....

John N. Gretchen III wrote:
first light, needs a collimation tweak.....
5x900 seconds
Intes-Micro M73 (7" F3 custom astrograph)
Celestron CI-700 Mount w/Gemini
reduced 50%

John N. Gretchen III
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ic5070_half_new.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	670.3 KB
ID:	2164
Old September 3rd 08, 11:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

You are a digital wizard!! I was looking at your comment in your first
post and was about to ask you if your comment about collimation was
based in general on star shape in the lower left; that seems to be gone
in version 2 with the re-stack. Nevertheless - great first light!!

btw - glad Gustav missed you, we had it in radar here. Ike has been
threatening us big time so I'm pulling the scope and mount off the pier
over the next few days and moving them to a secure building till early
October. I'm scheduled to be at sea later this month and I just don't
see trying to push my luck.

- take care - Rod

Old September 4th 08, 04:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Nice first light target.

I think I see Hanna and Ike in this shot, sure it's nebula?

You sure are getting in a lot of imaging for ducking hurricanes.
Weather here is lousy and we have no hurricane problem though Gustov is
sending moisture up here that makes each night cloudy with tropic
humidity. Got up this morning to find it sunny but the water was
pouring off the observatory roof. Sun was melting a thick frost layer!
Summer is over!

A bit of work on polar alignment should eliminate that field rotation
problem. I've got this one down to where I see none across the part of
the sky I image in (about 45 degrees either side of the Meridian. I can
stack without rotation anyplace in that arc. My problem is my image
scale changes with temperature. As the night cools the scale gets
slightly larger. Enough that the blue image, usually taken last, is
slightly larger than the green which is slightly larger than the red
with lum the smallest. This can cause some odd blue and green artifacts
around stars. So far I've been trying to scale manually in PS but think
I need to invest in Registar and do it the easy, more accurate way.

Your second image is better on my screen as to visibility of the nebula,
beside the better stars, but seems to have too high a background
brightness.

Rick

Old September 5th 08, 05:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

John, congratulations to the new scope, it seems to do very well.
As for the brightness of the image my favourite would be the middle between
the two versions.

Stefan

m...