Advice sought for setting up a Mead model 300 "equatorial refractor" telescope

Old June 11th 13, 03:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy,sci.electronics.repair
Odysseus[_1_]

Default Advice sought for setting up a Mead model 300 "equatorial refractor" telescope

In article ,
"Angel A." wrote:

My kid inherited this apparently ancient Meade 3.1-inch equatorial refractor
telescope, model 300, presumably in working order - but it doesn't work for
us:

We *think* we have all the parts; but we're not sure.

It looks reasonably complete, although in the first photo there's no
eyepiece inserted. The other photo shows several of those in the box;
start with the lowest power you have, which will be the one with the
*biggest* number (focal length) etched on it, probably around 20-25 mm.
In case you hadn't guessed, you focus with the paired metal knobs
between the "star diagonal" (the elbow below the eyepiece-holder) and
the main tube.

One critical element we can't see is the objective lens at the 'big
end', probably near the bottom of the large black cylinder (which I
guess is a baffle): this should be clean and unscratched. If you need to
clean it, be *very* careful not to damage the surfaces, which may be
coated. Handle it only by the edges, and use the most gentle treatment
possible, with a soft brush or lens-cloth, and only distilled water or a
residue-free lens-cleaning fluid that's safe for optical coatings.

Unless you live on the Equator, the first picture also has the 'scope
improperly oriented (the polar axis, the short shaft that's shown
roughly horizontal and parallel to the tube, should be elevated by an
angle equal to your latitude and locked there), but that makes no
difference to seeing things through it in the daytime.

Do you know of a decent forum where we can discuss the parts, setup, and
operation of this telescope for looking at the stars and moon?

Your best chance of finding someone with directly relevant experience or
practical tips will be at sci.astro.amateur. I'm taking the liberty of
cross-posting this message there as well. (And removing sci.astronomy,
which my news server doesn't carry.)

Note: We can't even get the scope to work, at least not on the trees in the
distance:

This is the finder-scope, an accessory that helps point the instrument.
There should be screw-holes in the main tube for attaching it, near the
eyepiece end. It's not strictly necessary, but can be useful, especially
when using medium-to-high power. Test it hand-held on the Moon: it might
not focus on anything nearer.

--
Odysseus
Old June 12th 13, 12:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Monday, June 10, 2013 10:13:29 PM UTC-4, Odysseus wrote:
In article ,

"Angel A." wrote:

[...]

To "Angel A." :

Try removing the black component that is located between the focuser's drawtube and the diagonal. Then use your lowest power eyepiece (it will have the highest number in "mm")and try aiming the 'scope at the Moon. DO NOT AIM AT THE SUN!!

Do not attempt to clean the main lens at this time. Dirty lenses work better than lenses that have been damaged by improper cleaning. The lens should have a small dust cover that would have kept the lens relatively clean, even despite the 'scope's possible age of three to four decades. (I found this 'scope advertised in a '76 issue of Sky & Telescope.)

The large component with the cord is probably a motor drive for the scope. Be careful with whatever is in the jar. I don't know how the coax accessory figures into any of this. :-)

This should be an interesting scope, especially since it has an equatorial mount with slow motion controls and possibly a clock drive.
Old June 13th 13, 08:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.astronomy,sci.electronics.repair
RichA[_1_]

You know what I'd do? Sell the Meade to one of the collectors of old
scopes on Astromart or Cloudynights or Ebay and buy a new 6" Newtonian
reflector from Meade.
Old June 13th 13, 11:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 3:59:17 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
You know what I'd do? Sell the Meade to one of the collectors of old

scopes on Astromart or Cloudynights or Ebay and buy a new 6" Newtonian

reflector from Meade.

The current owner can probably use it as-is without spending any money on it. The owner's interest might turn out to be more in the direction of ornithology than astronomy.