Possible meteor shower tonight (gamma Delphinids) -- CBET 3553

Old June 15th 13, 02:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Savard[_2_]

Default Possible meteor shower tonight (gamma Delphinids) -- CBET 3553

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 23:08:33 -0700 (PDT), oriel36
wrote, in part:

after many years indoctrinating
students that the Earth turns once in 23 hours 56 minutes 04 seconds
have changed their tune lately -

"Until 1967 the second was defined using the motion of the earth. This
is perhaps in accordance with our intuition. The earth rotates once on
its axis every 24 hours, and there are 3,600 seconds in one hour.
That would be fine if the earth kept good time, but in fact it
doesn't. The earth's rotation rate changes every day by thousands of
nanoseconds, and this is due in a large part to wind. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7759281.stm

That article came at a time when they were jettisoning the 'solar vs
sidereal' time junk and they lunged at any assertion to justify the
new approach.At the same time in sci.astro.amateur there were readers
killings themselves to denounce rotation once in 24 hours while the
salaried community had different ideas,

Simply because the issue of solar versus sidereal is occasionally
dropped as an unnecessary complication does not really mean that the
"salaried community" now agrees with you. The fact that the Equation of
Time forces us to use 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4 seconds as the period
of Earth's rotation, just as libration in longitude forces us to
acknowledge that the Moon rotates, has not changed.

I may not be able to affect your confusion, but you cannot alter the
truth.

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Old June 15th 13, 07:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jun 15, 1:50*pm, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"
wrote:
"oriel36" *wrote in message

Scream all you will guys,it has about as much effect as a breeze on a
mountain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...al_Time_en.PNG

That's right, 361 degrees (not 360), for the black line to point to the Sun
as everyone has told you.
[ Idiot screaming snipped]
Scream all you will, thug, it has less effect than a whisper in space.

361 degrees is like 91 degrees latitude - it doesn't exist for there
is no such thing as 1 degree above or below the North/South poles so
if you are so desperate to promote 361 degrees of rotation while your
empirical cult has already jettisoned the 'solar vs sidereal' junk
then good for you, somebody should tell you they have altered the
conclusion recently from the 'sidereal time' 2+2= 5 to the new 2+2=
4.002 conclusion -

"At the time of the dinosaurs, Earth completed one rotation in about
23 hours," says MacMillan, who is a member of the VLBI team at NASA
Goddard. "In the year 1820, a rotation took exactly 24 hours, or
86,400 standard seconds. Since 1820, the mean solar day has increased
by about 2.5 milliseconds." NASA

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsyst...ra-second.html

The parallax guys have gone from bad to worse in the space of a few
years having got rid of the utterly stupid value which they once took
as definitive -

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/JennyChen.shtml

Now enough of you as you turn people off discussion and have become a
nuisance and not the stalker they think you are in
sci.physics.relativity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The motions of Elnath,Castor and Pollux in the animated sequence of
images are not in stellar circumpolar motion as their motion is due to
a line-of-sight observation due to the orbital motion of the Earth and
nothing whatsoever to do with daily rotation -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MdFrE7hWj0A

I give the parallax or ephemerides guys about a year to figure this
out but maybe less considering that the Egyptians figured out that
there are 1461 natural noon cycles in proportion to 4 orbital circuits
in a framework of 365/365/365/366 days using the motion of Sirius and
what turns out to be the orbital motion of the Earth.

Old June 15th 13, 07:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_11_]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Sidereal_Time_en.PNG That's right, 361 degrees (not 360), for the black line to point to theSun as everyone has told you. [ Idiot screaming snipped] Scream all you will, thug, it has less effect than a whisper in space.361 degrees is===================1 full turn + 1 one more degree. 360+1 = 361 when I was in school aged 6.Noon to noon = 24 hours and noon to noon is 361 degrees, ****WIT!Scream all you will, thug, it has less effect than a whisper in space.-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard ofLord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.When the idiots papabozo and Dork Van de faggot present an argument I cannotlaugh at I'll retire from usenet.

Old June 16th 13, 02:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Savard[_2_]

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:29:22 -0700 (PDT), oriel36
wrote, in part:

361 degrees is like 91 degrees latitude - it doesn't exist for there
is no such thing as 1 degree above or below the North/South poles so
if you are so desperate to promote 361 degrees of rotation

It's absolutely true that 91 degrees of latitude does not exist.

But when it comes to longitude, of course amounts of rotation larger
than 360 degrees exist. After all, periods of time longer than a day
exist.

It's true that after a day and an hour, the net change in orientation is
7 1/2 degrees, the other 360 degrees not contributing to a distinct
orientation - in that sense, 361 degrees doesn't exist.

Old June 16th 13, 05:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Morten Reistad

wrote, in part:

361 degrees is like 91 degrees latitude - it doesn't exist for there
is no such thing as 1 degree above or below the North/South poles so
if you are so desperate to promote 361 degrees of rotation

It's absolutely true that 91 degrees of latitude does not exist.

But when it comes to longitude, of course amounts of rotation larger
than 360 degrees exist. After all, periods of time longer than a day
exist.

It's true that after a day and an hour, the net change in orientation is
7 1/2 degrees, the other 360 degrees not contributing to a distinct
orientation - in that sense, 361 degrees doesn't exist.

15 degrees, I would think, in a world where pi is not 6.28...

-- mrr
Old June 16th 13, 09:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

The motions of Elnath,Castor and Pollux and, aside from a slight
change in position due to its own orbital motion,Jupiter falls behind
the Sun due to the faster motion of the Earth -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MdFrE7hWj0A

The distant stars motion is not in stellar circumpolar motion,they
simply reflect stellar indicators for our own orbital motion without a
daily rotational component -

http://www.theplanetstoday.com/

The purple shading represents apparent retrogrades as Saturn appears
to move backwards against the stellar background as the faster Earth
overtakes it and so should Mercury as it swings back in towards the
front of the Sun and the opposite direction against the stellar
background as it moved a few weeks ago in May.

The JPL guys have their work cut out for them in discriminating,for
the first time,the foreground stellar circumpolar noise from the
orbital motions of our planet and the others using stellar
references.Men of honor would retain the ephemerides as a calendar
based convenience but not as representative of the Earth's
motions ,those of the other planets and the solar system structure as
a whole.I have to concede that my unpopularity may hinder productive
work and even if it is a personal loss for me as we all work off a
common pool of information,these guys may want to do things their own
way with the results being the same.

Old June 16th 13, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"oriel36" wrote in message

[...]

Your unpopularity is a direct result of your attitude, not
your stupidity.
If you want to see Mercury in front of or behind the Sun,
look up at the Sun in broad daylight. Mercury is there, plainly
wanting to be seen. Same goes for Venus. You can never see
Jupiter or Saturn in front of the sun, but if you want to see
them behind the Sun then again look up at the Sun in the
day time. This is a picture of Venus in front of the Sun.
http://www.vcastro.com/04-0608_venus...t_gk0r9590.jpg
It is black because the camera is looking at the unlit side.

Old June 17th 13, 10:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

The shading for retrogrades of the inner planets should be different
reflecting the differences between the inner and outer planets in
terms of apparent retrograde motions and their causes but that website
is excellent in how it expresses observed motions -

http://www.theplanetstoday.com/

It is absolutely crucial to negate the noise of stellar circumpolar
motion and allow the stellar background to dictate its own story and
especially the orbital motion of the Earth which causes Elnath,Castor
and Pollux and to a lesser extent Jupiter to disappear behind the Sun
seen in that wonderful animated sequence -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MdFrE7hWj0A

I have had my fill of the nuisances in these forums who have had their
go at me but this time I address those who have up to now shown
contempt for the common pool of information before everyone,and from
my point of view,easily understandable to any student of astronomy.You
may keep the ephemerides which allows observers to appreciate the
relative positions of celestial objects to each other within the
calendar format but at the expense of a rotating celestial sphere
framework -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZp0lEEpsc

The payoff is massive,the heightened appreciation which will result
from distinguishing the motions of the stars in stellar circumpolar
motion from their motions using the orbital motion of the Earth will
raise so many new questions,provide so many new avenues of
investigation and free our generation from a slavery imposed on us a
few centuries ago.

Old June 18th 13, 12:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"oriel36" wrote in message

The shading for retrogrades of the inner planets should be different
reflecting the differences between the inner and outer planets in
terms of apparent retrograde motions and their causes but that website
is excellent in how it expresses observed motions -

http://www.theplanetstoday.com/

An AstroLOGY page?
Look idiot, this is SCI.ASTRO.AMATEUR, SCI being science and
ASTRO being AstroNOMY.
It is not HOCUSPOCUS.ASTRO.AMATEUR for amateur palm readers,
crystal ball gazers and horoscope writers.
GO AWAY!

Old June 18th 13, 01:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Monday, June 17, 2013 2:30:59 AM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

I have had my fill of the nuisances in these forums who have had their

go at me...

And successful goes they have been. I think many readers here who are new to astronomy have learned volumes about a lot of topics simply by reading the hundreds of responses made to your mostly uneducated posts, your gift of cut-and-paste notwithstanding.

Us nuisances have equally had our fill of your idiocy. You have persistence, I give you that. In the face of overwhelming evidence you continue to fly in the face of reason without ever wavering.

but this time I address those who have up to now shown

contempt for the common pool of information before everyone...

.... and that would be... No One at all.

and from

my point of view,easily understandable to any student of astronomy.

Us nuisances have explained multiple factoids of really basic astronomical concepts to you countless multiple times, all of them easily understandable to any student of astronomy, and you have patently been unable to glean a single morsel of wisdom from any one of them, in my experience. You are so off course by now that there is no possible way for you to find your way back to any semblance of 'normal'. Your point of view is so skewed that recovery is nigh impossible, in my view, for you have no sense of perspective.

The payoff is massive,the heightened appreciation which will result

from distinguishing the motions of the stars in stellar circumpolar

motion from their motions using the orbital motion of the Earth will

raise so many new questions,provide so many new avenues of

investigation and free our generation from a slavery imposed on us a

few centuries ago.

This isn't going to happen, because there is nothing wrong with 'the way things are', the science concerning the mechanics of the relatively straightforward motions of the planets around the Sun, and moons around planets, are so well understood that there is very little left to learn. If we can launch a probe from a moving planet, sling it around other moving planets for energy gain, and have it land with incredible precision nearly spot-on the intended target of yet another moving planet, months or years later, I would say that in itself should show you just how sophisticated and refined the mathematics and engineering is today.

Androcles has it just right when he says that "Your unpopularity is a direct result of your attitude, not your stupidity." There is no personality here that is more resolute, stubborn and often recklessly determined than yours.

“The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: Be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge.”
~ Elbert Hubbard

Do you really want to be remembered for being perpetually ignorant? Is it worth it to remain so unteachable?

I say this with no malice at all.

\Paul A

Geminid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight; Best of 2010? Sam Wormley[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 11 December 14th 10 11:07 AM
Meteor shower Margret Misc 17 May 21st 05 02:17 PM
Meteor shower tonight. Roy UK Astronomy 3 November 19th 04 10:56 PM
Meteor shower tonight... Greg P. Astronomy Misc 3 June 23rd 04 04:23 PM
meteor shower. Don McDonald Amateur Astronomy 12 February 5th 04 03:04 AM