Apply shuttle ET foam in a vacuum.

Old July 31st 05, 03:41 AM
Gil

Here's a link from a better source. I realize that people have opinions
about this, but has there been a greater incidence of foam shedding
since the change was made in 2000?

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ft_030506.html

Old July 31st 05, 04:01 AM
Gil

This one is a NASA link after STS-87. Looks less and less like an urban
legend to me.

http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/people/jou...s87-12-23.html

Old July 31st 05, 04:18 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Gil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's a link - it's not where I got the story from originally, but I
do remember reading about this after the Columbia accident. I realize
the source here is suspect, but is this story completely fabricated?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...28/93055.shtml

Completely, no. But very poorly researched.

For example, the 11x number represents initial numbers, not later numbers
where the foam damage had been mostly mitgated.

http://images.chron.com/content/news.../28/a-hits.jpg shows some
good information.

Note that an '85 flight far surpasses anything since the new foam.

In addition it fails to note both the bipod ramp foam block and the one that
came off the PAL ramp were the old foam.

Gil

Old July 31st 05, 05:09 AM
Pat Flannery

Roy Smith wrote:

Most mechanical problems boil down to one of two things:

1) It's too tight.

2) It's too loose.

I knew a girl once who got loose when she got tight. ;-)

Pat
Old July 31st 05, 05:33 AM
Dale

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:09:30 -0500, Pat Flannery wrote:

I knew a girl once who got loose when she got tight. ;-)

You didn't let her slip away, did you?

Dale
Old July 31st 05, 05:39 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Gil" wrote in
oups.com:

This one is a NASA link after STS-87. Looks less and less like an urban
legend to me.

http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/people/jou...s87-12-23.html

That depends on what issue you're talking about.

It is a fact that NASA changed the blowing agent for the mechanically-
applied acreage foam in 1997, and that this resulted in an increase in
orbiter TPS damage due to "popcorning" in the shuttle flights for a year or
two afterward.

But it is also a fact that NASA continually tweaked the foam after that,
and by 2000 had gotten TPS damage down to pre-1997 levels.

And it is also a fact that the change in blowing agent did not affect hand-
sprayed foam like the bipod ramps and PAL ramp. Therefore, the statement
that the change to "environmentally friendly foam" contributed to the
Columbia accident (or the PAL ramp loss on the current flight), either
directly or indirectly, *is* an urban legend.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old July 31st 05, 09:34 AM
alex pozgaj

Roy Smith writes:

In article ,
John Steinberg wrote:

Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:

Yes. Launch the shuttle first and *then* apply the foam.

FYI:
http://facilities.grc.nasa.gov/spf/

I've just done some very quick scratch figuring and the real answer
isn't better foam application but rather a better ablative material.

Turns out my materials science manual has the answer on page 831.

Duct tape.

Two wrappings around the problematic ET and she's good to go. Only
potential problem: it might survive re-entry.

Most mechanical problems boil down to one of two things:

1) It's too tight.

2) It's too loose.

It therefore follows that a roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40 should be
able to fix most problems.

Is that original? I'd love to use it in my sig!

Cheers, alex.
Old July 31st 05, 09:49 AM
Brad Guth

Give it basalt composite fibers.

Foam and highly insulative basalt composite fibers (possibly a layer or
two of basalt micro-balloons to boot) is just the ticket to ride, and I
believe it's well proven as well as being dirt cheap at perhaps
representing less overall mass per R-factor. In fact, the entire tank
could have been a 100% composite of basalt and perhaps a touch of
silica if need be.
~

Don't look: in spite of the orchestrated status quo, it seems there's
been other life upon Venus
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-town.htm
Russian/China LSE-CM/ISS (Lunar Space Elevator) as situated within the
ME-L1/EM-L2 sweet-spot
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
Venus ETs, Earthly ETs plus a few other somewhat testy topics by; Brad
Guth / GASA-IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

Old July 31st 05, 05:24 PM
David M. Palmer

In article , Roy Smith
wrote:

Most mechanical problems boil down to one of two things:

1) It's too tight.

2) It's too loose.

It therefore follows that a roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40 should be
able to fix most problems.

Usage instructions:
If you want to make something fast, lubricate it with WD-40,
but if you want to make something fast, strap it down with duct tape.

--
David M. Palmer (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Old July 31st 05, 05:30 PM
Richard Henry

"Gil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's a link - it's not where I got the story from originally, but I
do remember reading about this after the Columbia accident. I realize
the source here is suspect, but is this story completely fabricated?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...28/93055.shtml

What would make you suspect anything? The W coffee mugs for sale? Or
maybe the Reagan souvenirs?