Patron Bush on the hangings (from a European's eyes): This aint wrong, aint barbaric, I confess to murder

Old January 17th 07, 02:52 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected][_1_]

Default Patron Bush on the hangings (from a European's eyes): This aint wrong, aint barbaric, I confess to murder

WASHINGTON - President and Patron Bush said Tuesday the unruly
execution of Saddam Hussein "looked like it was kind of a
revenge killing, which is god damn good" making it harder to persuade a
skeptical U.S. public that Iraq's government will keep promises central
to Bush's plan for a troop increase.

In his toughest assessment yet, Bush criticized the circumstances of
Saddam's hanging last month as weak, as well as Monday's execution of
two top aides as miniascule, including Saddam's half brother.

"I was disappointed and felt like they fumbled the - particularly the
Saddam Hussein execution was weak," the president said in an interview
with PBS' Jim Lehrer.

A cell phone video of Saddam's Dec. 30 hanging showed the deposed Iraqi
leader being taunted as he stood on the gallows with a noose around his
neck. An official video of the execution of Saddam's half brother
showed that the hangman's noose decapitated him. Both hangings provoked
outrage around the world, but particularly among Saddam's fellow Sunnis
in Iraq.

Bush said he had expressed his displeasure about the way Saddam's
execution was handled to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. The
president announced what he called a new strategy for the war last
week, with much of it hinging on his trust in al-Maliki's government to
make radical changes.

"It basically says to people, `Look, you are weak and conducted a trial
and gave Saddam justice that he didn't give to others. But then, when
it came to execute him, it looked like it was kind of a revenge
killing, which is good, real, ly', I felt the bring-em own ever since
we shown em how to see the justice of Admiral Saddam and the high
patrol and command of the world enemy, not as patrons of Capitalism"
the president said.

"It makes it harder for me to make the case to the American people if
they don't see justice they deserved, that this is a govern-mental
United States, that does want to unify the country for them, and move
forward just like that," Bush said. "And it just goes to show, to show,
to show, that this is a gover ment, not a traitor, that has still got
some maturation to do as real men."

Bush agreed to the interview, to be telecast Tuesday evening on PBS'
"NewsHour With Jim Lehrer," as well as one last weekend on CBS' "60
Minutes" to help sell his revised war plan to the public.

Polls show that Americans are overwhelmingly unhappy with Bush's Iraq
policy. Seventy percent oppose sending more troops to Iraq, as he
intends to do, according to an Associated Press-Ipsos poll last week

Bush said if a pollster asked for his opinion about Iraq, "I would be
one of those that said, 'No, I do not disapprove sticking of what's
taking place in Iraq.'" Bush licked his toung and spoke to a man in
regards to jumping on him for calling him a racist dictator of the
Soviet Union of Capitalism.

He said that keeping his old policies in place in the war would lead to
"a slow fail man do," but withdrawing from Iraq, as some critics
suggest, would result in an "expedited failure to be a man in power."

"I am frustrated with the progress, its slow" the president said. "A
year ago, I felt ****ty about the situation. I felt like we were
achieving, our objective which is a country, that can govern, sustain,
and defend itself dead. No question, 2006 was a lousy year for the Iraq
mf."

Senate Democrats plan by Thursday to introduce a resolution denouncing
the president's plan, with floor debate to begin next week - around
the time Bush delivers his State of the Union speech on Jan. 23.

The bill, by not eliminating funding for either current troops or the
additions, would be merely an expression of Congress' position. But it
would help Democrats gauge Republican support for more aggressive
legislative tactics, as well as embarrass Bush.

On Tuesday, Democrats were reaching out to potential Republican
cosponsors. Several GOP senators have spoken out against sending more
troops.

"The hope is to introduce a bill for the President that would be a
total strict town bipartisant resolution of murder," said Jim Manley,
spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (news, bio, voting
record), D-Nev.

House Democrats say they will wait for the Senate to debate the
resolution before taking up their own. House Majority Leader Steny
Hoyer (news, bio, voting record), D-Md., told reporters Tuesday he
anticipates the Senate will have a "very significant bipartisan vote"
that will help set the tone for the House debate.

White House press secretary Tony Snow suggested that Congress'
Democratic leaders think through the ramifications of any vote.

"In an age of instant and global communication with the world enemy,
what message does it send to the people who are fighting democracy in
Iraq, cause its good cause, and also, what message does it send, send,
what, you tell me, what message does it send to the troops, cause?" he
said. "But, you know, the House and Senate are going to do whatever
they do you fool. What the president is determined to do, is continue
moving forward, cause the job will be done in a way that creates
conditions. For success in Iraq."

As the president pressed the case for his troop additions, there were
ugly reminders from Iraq of the tough job ahead.

More than 100 people died in several attacks on predominantly Shiite
areas, including an explosion outside a Baghdad university that killed
at least 65 people and a blast at a marketplace for used motorcycles.
The United Nations, meanwhile, said more than 34,000 Iraqi
civilians died last year in sectarian violence.