What if the money spent on Iraq war were spent on space exploration?

Old December 3rd 06, 05:43 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Howard Brazee

Default What if the money spent on Iraq war were spent on space exploration?

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:48:27 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

Hmm. Even Bush no longer tries to sell Weapons of Mass Destruction
Related Projects as having been a valid reason for invading Iraq.

Of course he does, because it was, given the available intelligence at
the time.

The blame for inadequate intelligence stops at his desk. So he finds
a different reason for the war.
Old December 3rd 06, 07:11 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:43:33 GMT, in a place far, far away, Howard
Brazee made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Simberg) wrote:

Hmm. Even Bush no longer tries to sell Weapons of Mass Destruction
Related Projects as having been a valid reason for invading Iraq.

Of course he does, because it was, given the available intelligence at
the time.

The blame for inadequate intelligence stops at his desk. So he finds
a different reason for the war.

No, he doesn't. That reason remains valid, in terms of what we knew
at the time (it's easy to Monday-morning quarterback), and there were
many others, even if many, like you, have selective amnesia.
Old December 4th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Eric Chomko

Jim Oberg wrote:
"kT" wrote
Well, let's see ... ~ 2900 soldiers. What's the going rate for some
mother's son, hundred grand or so on the body parts market?

Compared to how many soldiers dead if we didn't go to war --
say, compared to 1994, or 1996?

What happened in 1994 or 1996 that would have saved lives? Do you think
9/11 would have been avoided if we invaded Iraq in 1994 or 1996? You're
not being clear about events from 1994 or 1996 that makes sense in Iraq
today.

Jim never, ever mention your political opinion when on air. Stick to
space and only space. Your politics doesn't translate well outside of
Texas.

Eric

Old December 5th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Fred J. McCall

"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Jim never, ever mention your political opinion when on air. Stick to
:space and only space. Your politics doesn't translate well outside of
:Texas.

What you really mean is that YOU disagree with him and hence want him
silenced, don't you, Eric?

--
You are
What you do
Old December 5th 06, 03:24 AM posted to alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
[email protected]

Simberg) wrote:

Hmm. Even Bush no longer tries to sell Weapons of Mass Destruction
Related Projects as having been a valid reason for invading Iraq.

Of course he does, because it was, given the available intelligence at
the time.

The intelligence at the time did not show strong evidence for weapons
of mass destruction. We were telling you so in January 2003.

The blame for inadequate intelligence stops at his desk. So he finds
a different reason for the war.

No, he doesn't. That reason remains valid, in terms of what we knew
at the time (it's easy to Monday-morning quarterback),

I don't know for Mr. Brazee, but many of us were "Saturday
quarterbacking"
in early 2003.

and there were
many others, even if many, like you, have selective amnesia.

Yeah, it was also to stop terrorism. We all know that there aren't
any terrorist in that part of the world anymore. Oh! and we had some
"Saturday quarterbacking" on that issue in early 2003 also.

Alain Fournier

Old December 5th 06, 06:19 AM posted to alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Fred J. McCall

: Simberg) wrote:
:
: Hmm. Even Bush no longer tries to sell Weapons of Mass Destruction
: Related Projects as having been a valid reason for invading Iraq.
:
: Of course he does, because it was, given the available intelligence at
: the time.
:
:The intelligence at the time did not show strong evidence for weapons
f mass destruction. We were telling you so in January 2003.

But you didn't have access to the intelligence. Folks who did (in
pretty much all nations) were convinced otherwise.

:
: The blame for inadequate intelligence stops at his desk. So he finds
: a different reason for the war.
:
: No, he doesn't. That reason remains valid, in terms of what we knew
: at the time (it's easy to Monday-morning quarterback),
:
:I don't know for Mr. Brazee, but many of us were "Saturday
:quarterbacking" in early 2003.

But nobody who actually had the intelligence was. Check the vote. Ask
Hillary Clinton.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 5th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Jim never, ever mention your political opinion when on air. Stick to
:space and only space. Your politics doesn't translate well outside of
:Texas.

What you really mean is that YOU disagree with him and hence want him
silenced, don't you, Eric?

No, I'm saying he should stick to talking about space outside of Texas.

And why did you delete what he posted, Fred? Being intellectually
dishonest again?

Eric

--
You are
What you do

Old December 5th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:

: Simberg) wrote:
:
: Hmm. Even Bush no longer tries to sell Weapons of Mass Destruction
: Related Projects as having been a valid reason for invading Iraq.
:
: Of course he does, because it was, given the available intelligence at
: the time.
:
:The intelligence at the time did not show strong evidence for weapons
f mass destruction. We were telling you so in January 2003.

But you didn't have access to the intelligence. Folks who did (in
pretty much all nations) were convinced otherwise.

Are you saying the UN inspection teams found evidence of WMD in Iraq?

:
: The blame for inadequate intelligence stops at his desk. So he finds
: a different reason for the war.
:
: No, he doesn't. That reason remains valid, in terms of what we knew
: at the time (it's easy to Monday-morning quarterback),
:
:I don't know for Mr. Brazee, but many of us were "Saturday
:quarterbacking" in early 2003.

But nobody who actually had the intelligence was. Check the vote. Ask
Hillary Clinton.

Bush ignored the UN in typical right-wing fashion and started a war
under false pretense. THAT is the fact of history just like Clinton's
BJ.

Eric

-- Thomas Jefferson

Old December 6th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Fred J. McCall

"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote:
:
: :
: :Jim never, ever mention your political opinion when on air. Stick to
: :space and only space. Your politics doesn't translate well outside of
: :Texas.
:
: What you really mean is that YOU disagree with him and hence want him
: silenced, don't you, Eric?
:
:No, I'm saying he should stick to talking about space outside of Texas.

And you should stick to not talking until you get something in that
space between your ears.

:And why did you delete what he posted, Fred?

Because it was irrelevant to YOU statement, which is what I was
responding to.

--
"You take the lies out of him, and he'll shrink to the size of
your hat; you take the malice out of him, and he'll disappear."

What if the money spent on Iraq war were spent on space exploration? tracy Policy 84 January 3rd 07 11:17 PM
Better spent Paul Bunion Policy 9 December 2nd 06 05:59 AM
WI: 1% of world economic output spent on space? John Freck History 2 October 5th 06 04:59 PM
Vast sums spent on space research reduces risk of war. dd Policy 3 February 4th 05 01:51 AM
spent comets [email protected] Technology 1 January 2nd 05 09:38 PM