question on jupiters radiation

Old February 9th 05, 11:34 PM
Iceman-Jamie Iceman-Jamie is offline
Member

Location: Keflavik, Iceland
Default question on jupiters radiation

I was goofing around JPL's website on the voyeger probes when I read this:

Both Voyagers were specifically designed and protected to withstand the large radiation dosage during the Jupiter swing-by. This was accomplished by selecting radiation-hardened parts and by shielding very sensitive parts. An unprotected human passenger riding aboard Voyager 1 during its Jupiter encounter would have received a radiation dose equal to one thousand times the lethal level.

Why is the radiation levels so high at jupiter?
Old February 10th 05, 05:08 AM
Tim Killian

The strong magnetic field captures charged particles from the sun and
concentrates them -- similar to the radiation belts that surround the
Earth, but larger and more intense.

Old February 10th 05, 04:57 PM
Iceman-Jamie Iceman-Jamie is offline
Member