what's happend to Rod Mollise??

Old February 8th 05, 01:02 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:22:29 GMT, John Lepps wrote:
Nothing that I know of. My son likes to play tricks on his dad every now
and then and then snickers when I start having problems. I'm not the

tell him to stop it or it'll be FreeBSD for him on a 9600 modem till
he comes of age! ;-)

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old February 9th 05, 05:48 PM
Cousin Ricky

RMOLLISE wrote:
If you can't see my posts, you won't see this...I guess...but maybe
someone will copy it to you. The problem MAY be, that I have recently
had to begin posting using Google Groups (i.e. Deja) rather than AOL.
AOL is phasing out their Usenet service, and their database is hosed.
So, until I can organize myself to get another ISP...

Don't know why this would affect you reading my posts, but that's the
only thing that has changed 'round here...

One warning: Google Groups has completely reorganized its service, and
is now beta-testing it on everyone who uses it. A classic illustration
of the aphorism, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." They've introduced
their own newsgroups that don't feed into or from Usenet, and have
tried their damndest to seemlessly integrate these proprietary groups
with Usenet through their user interface. The whole setup seems
disturbingly reminiscent of AOL, where the distiction between the
service and the outside world is blurred, and the user--especially if a
newbie--is never quite sure where he is. (But then again, after AOL,
you're probably used to this sort of thing, Rod.)

I find, for example, that i am a "member" of sci.astro.amateur.
Forgive me for being slow, but i didn't realize SAA *had* a membership.
It can only be that Google has created its own internal roster for
SAA, yet when i read or post, it is clearly the same SAA that is on
Usenet. I also find it difficult to find features that were readily
available on the old system, because Google's "personalized" system
insists on leading me where *it* thinks i want to go.

And the new user interface needs help. Serious help.

Two good things about the new service:
- Their archive updates within minutes, instead of hours.
- Google Groups now retains X-No-Archive articles for a limited
period. Previously, such articles were deleted upon arrival,
and Google Groups' users never got to see them at all.

Clear skies!

--
~ U.S. Virgin Islands ~ USDA zone 11 ~ 18.3N, 64.9W ~