favorite eye peices that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:57 AM
CLT

"Impact9" wrote in message
ups.com...
So if someone can,
please give some info on your personal favorites that didn't break the
bank.

UO Orthos. Nice, simple, good contrast. Good planetary eyepieces at a very
affordable price.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in understanding optics?

************************************

Old February 3rd 05, 09:20 AM
Impact9

Sorry the spelling train with the grammer car left without me. =)

Old February 3rd 05, 12:56 PM
Impact9

I'm going to check out the UO since most of you said they are good. Any
suggestions for a first pick? I'm thinking a mid range 9mm for starting
the set. I'm also wanting to do some DSO will UO perform good here as
well?

The Tele Vue 8mm to 24mm Click Stop Zoom Eyepiece 1-1/4 Inch appears
very impressive for the price. Cloudynights review by Chris East was
convincing. Any thoughts on this eyepiece?

Old February 3rd 05, 03:54 PM
Mark

It has the same optics as the Vixen LV Zoom I mentioned earlier but
with built-in click stops at 8, 12, 16 and 24mm. It IS very
impressive. Some here have a bias against zoom EPs but I think it's a
great value. The visibility of many deep sky objects is sensitive to
contrast afforded by magnification (higher magnification darkens the
sky background). With a zoom EP you can easily tune the
magnification/contrast to whatever works best for the object without
constantly switching EPs.

Mark

Old February 3rd 05, 08:54 PM
CLT

I'm going to check out the UO since most of you said they are good. Any
suggestions for a first pick? I'm thinking a mid range 9mm for starting
the set.

What you start with depends on what scope you are going to use it with, your
observing preferences and your viewing conditions, as well as what holes you
have in your current collection. For most, it starts with that feeling, "I
wish I had an eyepiece of ____ size right now."

You can also go to
http://skyandtelescope.com/resources/organizations/
and find your local astro club. They will have a public night you can take
your scope to and borrow some eyepieces to look through your scope with.
That will give you a good feel for what you want first

I'm also wanting to do some DSO will UO perform good here as
well?

The Orthos are a small FOV, so they work well on small DSO's, but not as
well as on larger. For those, you may want to look at Plossels.

Hope this helps.

Old February 3rd 05, 10:28 PM

I'll take a different slant...

Although Panoptics, Naglers, Radians and other "high end" eps may cost
more up front, I don't take the short sighted approach that they "cost
an arm and a leg." I like to buy them used on Astromart. Same goes for
refractors. It goes like this, if I plop down $230 for a used 13mm
Nagler, I know that I will be able to sell it for $230 a year from now,
as long as I keep it pristine (BTW, TV, Tak, AP owners are fanatical
about taking good care of their stuff). To me, I look at that as a no
return, little to no loss investment. Whereas when I used to pay $80
for a new, lower quality EP, I could typically only get $35 for it
used. If I tried to pick it up on the used market, they would typically
not be as cared for, being that they were either in the hands of a
newbie, or used as public eps for star parties and such.

I am by no means a wealthy man, nor do I make alot of money. I only own
4 eps, 9mm Ortho, 13mm Nagler, 20mm Nagler, 35mm Panoptic. I learned
quickly in this hobby that you get what you pay for. I decided after
wasting alot of money on cheap eps that I was better off with a few
select high end eps and I have never regreted a dime of money I spent
on them. I can't say that for any other ep I purchased prior to that
(Celestron, Orion, Meade, Siebert, etc.)

Just my $.02.

Old February 3rd 05, 10:42 PM
Bob May

Several people have already mentioned the University Optics Orthos. In
addition, UO also sells the Konig line of EPs. These are the excellent wode
field EPs that really work well with your scope. The only problem with the
Konig's is that they have a short eye relief so don't bother to buy any
under 10mm or you will not be happy with it for eye relief.
I have a set of most of the diffeerent EP designs in a box that I
occasionally pull out when somebody states that the Plossl design is the
best. After they do a blind test with each of the designs, the person
usaually states that the Konig deisgn is the best. Second best is almost
always the Erfle design (it sometimes is indicated as the best) so go with
the Konig design EP and you will have what is probably the best deaign for
the money. Erfle EPs have been made by a fair number of EP sellers and the
quality is variable but usually excellent.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Old February 4th 05, 01:47 AM
Mark C

Try http://www.owlservices.com/ (I am not affiliated just a happy customer)

the 30MM 2" Ultrawide is great and the price is amazing.

--
Mark Casazza
http://casazza.net

"Impact9" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently ordered a Celestron NexStar 8i SE plus nearly all
accessories offered on my tax refund. I've been using a rather small
AP and Orion starblast with a Celestron Plossl set I purchased from
Telescopes.com.

http://www.telescopes.com/products/C...l_11535.ht ml

The eye peices are fine but I'm certain there are more impressive ones.
Orion eye peices look good on price but I have no ideal which ones are
good for this incoming F10 scope. I really enjoy the larger FOV that
this 32mm Clestron gives but I also want some magnification. I can't
afford to buy the premium eye peices like televue. So if someone can,
please give some info on your personal favorites that didn't break the
bank.

Thanks

DH

Old February 8th 05, 11:10 PM
Larry Stedman

Second Mark on the value of the 8-24mm zooms. The
Vixen/Celestron/older Televue ones don't have the click stop, but are
excellent in contrast and sharpness. Particularly useful for finding
the right mag for planetary observations given the seeing conditions. I
use mine all the time instead of my ortho, plossls, Konig, etc. for
planets. Narrow fov in the longer focal length, but quite serviceable
at the lower.

Larry Stedman
Vestal