What are these white dots on a lunar photo?

Old December 24th 06, 11:44 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
[email protected]

Default What are these white dots on a lunar photo?

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/lu...info.shtml?223

Click on the picture. There's a lot of white dots which are clearly
some
sort of noise on the film. Does anybody know why these imperfections
appear?

Old December 25th 06, 12:52 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Pat

Yep, sorry to have to agree. Great pictures but whoever handled this
material
needs a head modification - like a head removal??
If you want to be kind to him/her, buy a box of linen gloves for them.
Note that the skin oils of some people are able to etch most things - in
some cases, even stainless steel!

"reconair" wrote in message
They're finger prints on the negative.

Scott
oups.com...

-----------------
-----------------
Old December 25th 06, 06:28 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
David Nakamoto

Yup, people don't realize how dangerous human touch is to certain
materials. We're slightly acidic(?) so anything we touch is going to
get a dose of etching acid, and then the disintegration sets in.

So during the holidays, be careful of that handshake or your palm may
melt away, or that hug lest your clothing disintegrate, or heaven
forbid, kissing; God Knows what bugs are sitting there patiently on that
person's lips, just waiting for the next ride to hitch on to come by. (^_^)

--- Dave

"reconair" wrote in message
They're finger prints on the negative.

Scott
oups.com...

Old December 26th 06, 04:40 AM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
[email protected]

reconair wrote:
They're finger prints on the negative.

Scott

I'm not so sure. Enlarge the image and you will see very distinct white
dots. Others look like the lines left by lights on overexposed film.

Old December 30th 06, 11:55 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Randy Merritt

wrote:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/lu...info.shtml?223

Click on the picture. There's a lot of white dots which are clearly
some
sort of noise on the film. Does anybody know why these imperfections
appear?

The white "lines" in several places do bear a remarkable resemblance to
fingerprints. How old was the film? There are also two triangular
shaped dots that could be defects on the film. A few more details on
what equipment was used in making these shots might help. I've recently
completed a series of test shots at half moon using a digital CCD camera
and I have no spurious spots anywhere (which help eliminate internal
light reflection issues).

The enlarged image looks a bit overexposed. Deliberate?
Old December 31st 06, 12:29 AM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
William Hamblen

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 15:55:56 -0700, Randy Merritt
wrote:

The white "lines" in several places do bear a remarkable resemblance to
fingerprints. How old was the film? There are also two triangular
shaped dots that could be defects on the film. A few more details on
what equipment was used in making these shots might help. I've recently
completed a series of test shots at half moon using a digital CCD camera
and I have no spurious spots anywhere (which help eliminate internal
light reflection issues).

The image linked to at
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/lu...info.shtml?223
was created by one of the Lunar Orbiters in 1966-67.

See http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary.../lunarorb.html for more
details on the Lunar Orbiter missions. The white spots were caused by
defects in the film processing. The film was processed automatically
on the spacecraft and the images transmitted to Earth, untouched by
human hands.

This Lunar Orbiter image is one of the great photographs of the 20th
Century:

http://www.donaldedavis.com/2004%20new/COPERNho.gif

I remember it well. I was in college when it came out.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.