ASTRO: Widefield North American Nebula/Pelican/IC5068 in [SII], Ha and [OIII]

Old January 6th 04, 11:42 PM
Richard Crisp

Default ASTRO: Widefield North American Nebula/Pelican/IC5068 in [SII], Ha and [OIII]

"George Normandin" wrote in message

"Richard Crisp" wrote

here are two different palettes used for the Na Nebula/Pelican IC5068
complex.

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...c5068_page.htm

This is widefield shot of 9 square degrees taken with a horribly
undersampled FLI Dream Machine used on an AP Traveler with a 0.75x
telecompressor. The effective focal length was close to 475mm which

results
in a plate scale of 10.5 arc-sec/pixel.........

That's a very interesting pair of images Richard! Have you tried
'narrow-band' filters and a full spectrum Luminance image?

No I have not done that. One thing I have done is to combine (sum) the three
emission line band data and use that for luminance.

For such wide-field images I think your image scale is just fine. I've
used a ST-6 on an 80mm Brandon triplet and I'm happy with the results. You
might get more resolution using the DRIZZLE method, but I'm not sure that

it
would matter much considering the fine results you already have.

George Normandin

Those images were really intended more as "survey" images: I get 9 square
degrees and can shoot three shots of five minutes each through each of five
filters and get an image done in a bit more than an hour. That lets me
decide what objects are "interesting" and warrant a more detailed
examination later. I was shooting four such tricolor survey images per night
when I did these back in October.

Turns out some of the images were pretty good as is. That surprised me.

Old January 7th 04, 02:22 AM
Martin C Germano

Default ASTRO: Thor's Helmet in Halpha

Richard,

Thank you very much for the comment. It means a lot to me.

I'm blushing g! Thanks for your kind comments ... I have been 'following'
your recent work from your posts on the APML. Those narrow band false color
images are very impressive ... and you can do them from a light polluted
area! Outstanding work!

-- Marty

Martin C Germano
http://home.earthlink.net/~mcgermano

Old January 7th 04, 04:37 AM
Bill Meyers

Hello, Martin C. Germano,
I am glad to see you posting here. Stay with us.
I have admired your astrophotos for many years, several decades in fact.
Very fine work. If
Your web page is very helpful and informative.
Clear skies,
Bill Meyers

Martin C Germano wrote:

I did not get but one hour's worth of Ha for Thor but did assemble it into

sample shot: sort of an early look-see at what may be in store.

I like that one Richard ... very reminiscent of a Tech Pan image.

Old January 7th 04, 02:41 PM
Richard Crisp

Default Q ASTRO: Thor's Helmet in Halpha

"Martin C Germano" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Richard,

Thank you very much for the comment. It means a lot to me.

I'm blushing g! Thanks for your kind comments ... I have been

'following'
your recent work from your posts on the APML. Those narrow band false

color
images are very impressive ... and you can do them from a light polluted
area! Outstanding work!

-- Marty

Martin C Germano

Again thanks, Marty.

From my perspective once I got started using the emission line filters, they
are sort of the only option from a light polluted suburban backyard. It
seems like all I otherwise do is to try to remove gradients.

Two tradeoffs: slower exposures, weird colors.

on the former, the big pixels and high QE of the Dream Machine helps with
exposure length. On the latter, I have sort of tired of red objects and sort
of welcome a new set of colors. Besides those colors seem fine coming from
the Hubble, so why not?

Best regards
Richard

Old January 8th 04, 12:44 AM
News

not for this user there isn't

Chosp wrote:
"News" wrote in message

is there supposed to be an image on this link?

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...c5068_page.htm

There is - and it is quite a good one.

Old January 8th 04, 02:18 AM
Trane Francks

On 01/08/04 09:44 +0900, News wrote:

not for this user there isn't

Chosp wrote:
"News" wrote in message

is there supposed to be an image on this link?

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...c5068_page.htm

There is - and it is quite a good one.

His images are some of my favourite and this link
(NGC7000/IC5070/IC5068 Widefield) is absolutely stunning. If you
can't see things, you should check your browser. Ya gots ta be
able to see frames.

trane
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan

Old January 8th 04, 02:31 AM
Martin C Germano

Bill,

I am glad to see you posting here. Stay with us.

I've been reading and occasionally posting here for years ... just seems
like *most* of what goes on here is not 'up my ally'.

Old January 8th 04, 07:23 AM
Trane Francks

On 01/08/04 11:32 +0900, News wrote:

netscape 7.1??? oughta work...BUT IT DOESN'T

Works here with Netscape 7.1, Konqueror 3.1.4 and Galeon 1.3.9. I
have no idea why you'd have trouble (but I haven't taken the time
to examine the page source, either).

trane
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan