[fitsbits] Coordinate systems for solar image data

Old April 1st 04, 12:19 AM
William Thompson

Default [fitsbits] Coordinate systems for solar image data

Folks:

Some time ago I wrote the paper "Coordinate systems for solar image data", based
on the FITS World Coordinate System. I think that it's now time to try to get
it published. The latest up-to-date version of the paper is available at

http://orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov/~thom...oordinates.pdf
or
http://orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov/~thom...coordinates.ps

Please send me any comments.

William Thompson

Old May 20th 04, 11:42 PM
William Thompson

I've updated the draft paper "Coordinate systems for solar image data" to
reflect user comments. The latest draft is available at

--
William Thompson
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

301-286-2040

(Please note changed email address.)

Old May 21st 04, 03:01 PM
William Thompson

Actually, you may wish to withhold reviewing this version. Overnight, several
more things occurred to me that I had meant to incorporate in this version,
which I hadn't done, including some of your previous comments. I'll post
another message when this is in better shape.

Bill Thompson

Old May 24th 04, 07:46 PM
William Thompson

There's a new update of the paper Coordinate Systems for Solar Image Data
available at

http://orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov/~thom...oordinates.pdf

I've tried to take all of your user comments into account. Let me know if I
missed anything.

The major changes from the May 13th version a

1. Corrected the usage of i and j to match the final WCS paper usage.

2. Corrected Table 1, in particular the keyword "iVn_m"

3. Added a section on the use of cylindrical projections for synoptic maps.

4. Added heliocentric inertial (HCI) from Franz and Harper to Table 4.

Thank you to the people who've reviewed it so far for all your help.

William Thompson

Old July 8th 04, 10:25 PM
Arnold Rots

There are two other coordinate systems that have been suggested in the
context of the VO: HGC and HCD. I can't judge whether they are useful.

But I would suggest dropping GEI and HAE since, if I understand it
correctly, they are synonyms for ICRS and Ecliptic, respectively.

Cheers,

- Arnold

William Thompson wrote:
There's a new update of the paper Coordinate Systems for Solar Image Data
available at

http://orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov/~thom...oordinates.pdf

I've tried to take all of your user comments into account. Let me know if I
missed anything.

The major changes from the May 13th version a

1. Corrected the usage of i and j to match the final WCS paper usage.

2. Corrected Table 1, in particular the keyword "iVn_m"

3. Added a section on the use of cylindrical projections for synoptic maps.

4. Added heliocentric inertial (HCI) from Franz and Harper to Table 4.

Thank you to the people who've reviewed it so far for all your help.

William Thompson

Arnold H. Rots Chandra X-ray Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory tel: +1 617 496 7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67 fax: +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
USA
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/