Space Lettuce!

Old August 10th 15, 01:57 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default Space Lettuce!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/spa...uce/index.html

Fair use quote:

A special treat is on the menu for NASA astronauts on the International
Space Station on Monday -- lettuce. But this isn't just any lettuce. It's
part of a crop of "Outredgeous" red romaine lettuce grown on the space
station.

Old August 11th 15, 10:21 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian-Gaff

Surely they should have grown Rocket Lettuce?
all this growing with leds, I'd be a bit worried about this way of doing
things.
Soory mate, no food, the leds need replacing.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old August 11th 15, 11:42 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

Surely they should have grown Rocket Lettuce?
all this growing with leds, I'd be a bit worried about this way of doing
things.
Soory mate, no food, the leds need replacing.

LEDs have an extremely long lifetime, far better than other lights.
That and they don't tend to fail completely. Their light output just
tapers off slowly with use. So, I'm not sure what the worry is here.

http://digitallumens.com/resources/b...led-lifetimes/

- Incandescent bulbs can range from 750 hours to 2,000 for ?long-
life? versions.

- Compact fluorescents (CFL) bulbs have claims of up to 10,000-hour
lifetimes.

- Industrial HIF and HID lamps are approaching 20,000-hour lifetimes.

Now onto LEDs. When we talk about LED lifetime, we mean the
period after which the LED light puts out only 70% of its
original light. (Note: this is not total failure, just the
point at which the system emits less light and a fundamental
difference in the definition of ?lifetime? largely because
LEDs are a fundamentally different illumination technology.)
In technical parlance, this is the L70 rating and can range
from 50,000 to 100,000 hours based on design and operating
temperature. Even after that time period, the LED light
will continue to operate for years; just not at 100%.

Note that 50,000 hours is over 11 years with a 12 hour a day duty cycle.

So, for a very long mission, say 11 years, you just design the system so
that it can adjust the light output of the LEDs over time. Run them at
less than full brightness to start with, and with time, keep slowly
increasing the power to them to maintain the desired brightness. At the
very end of the design lifetime, you can't increase the power to the
LEDs anymore without burning them out, but they still won't stop
outputting light. Again, it will just keep tapering off with time.

Jeff
Old August 15th 15, 03:55 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian-Gaff

Hmm, presumably though, they need to use power fromsomewhere if going out
past Mars. The supply of spares will obviously need sorting out as well.
somehow one never sees this sort of problem depicted.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
says...