Looking for a late 70's book on space..(help!)

Old March 28th 12, 11:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Joseph S. Powell, III

Default Looking for a late 70's book on space..(help!)

This was a book I had received from my aunt when I was a kid..Christmas of
'78 or '79...
The cover jacket had a painting of a shuttle launching, from just behind &
slightly to an angle..no smoke, just large blue flames coming from the
SSME's...
Inside the book it had info on Space and the Future...from O'Neill-type
space colonies to artificial sea colonies..large SETI radio antenna farms on
the far side of the moon...speculations on alien life, including photos of
the Mute-Ant from This Island Earth, to the golden-headed, large-lobed
Martian in the glass sphere from Invaders from Mars.
I also recall an excerpt from an old comic strip (probably Lil' Nemo) where
they take a blimp-like craft (pulled by a giant birdlike creature) to Mars,
where they discover the canals are actually huge cities, with tons of
billboard ads.
I cannot for the life of me seem to find this book, as unfortunately I have
forgotten the title - can anyone please help?
......Thanks!

Old March 28th 12, 11:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 29/03/2012 9:01 AM, Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
[...]

Have you considered going to a second-hand book store?
Old March 29th 12, 01:17 AM posted to sci.space.station
Barbara Needham

"Joseph S. Powell, III" wrote:
[...]

Abe books is a good place to start. They have, or at least used to, a forum
where you can ask such questions.

Barbara Needham
Old March 29th 12, 06:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rick Jones

My wife works at one of the local libraries and though it was a fun
and interesting challenge. Thusfar, she has come-up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Shuttl...#ht_500wt_1064

If that is the publication in question, she says she can do some
futher digging.

rick jones
- Rick Jones
Old March 29th 12, 07:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Rick Jones" wrote in message ...

My wife works at one of the local libraries and though it was a fun
and interesting challenge. Thusfar, she has come-up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Shuttl...#ht_500wt_1064

If that is the publication in question, she says she can do some
futher digging.

rick jones

Huh, I have that very book down in my basement!

Old March 30th 12, 01:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rick Jones

In sci.space.policy "Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:
"Rick Jones" wrote in message ...

My wife works at one of the local libraries and though it was a fun
and interesting challenge. Thusfar, she has come-up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Shuttl...#ht_500wt_1064

If that is the publication in question, she says she can do some
futher digging.

Huh, I have that very book down in my basement!

Does it happen to have the other items described by the OP?

rick jones
Old April 1st 12, 07:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Joseph S. Powell, III

I appreciate the effort, Rick, but that's not it...the painting is sort of
from behind and to the rear, with large, blue thrust plumes coming out of
the SSME's....

Old April 2nd 12, 09:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote:
"Rick Jones" wrote in message ...

My wife works at one of the local libraries and though it was a fun
and interesting challenge. Thusfar, she has come-up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Shuttl...#ht_500wt_1064

If that is the publication in question, she says she can do some
futher digging.

Huh, I have that very book down in my basement!

Does it happen to have the other items described by the OP?

Apparently not. And I'm not even sure where in the basement it is right
now.

But come to think of it, I bet THIS:
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Space-Din.../dp/0891041540 is the book the
OP means.

Just dawned on me, I have that too.

rick jones

Old April 5th 12, 06:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Joseph S. Powell, III

"Greg (Strider) Moore" wrote in message
m...

--

OMG!!!!!!!!! Yessss!! That is it EXACTLY - thanks!!!!!

I think this is just about the only NG that would have been able to find
it!!

Old April 6th 12, 04:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Joseph S. Powell, III" wrote in message

"Greg (Strider) Moore" wrote in message
om...

wrote:
"Rick Jones" wrote in message

My wife works at one of the local libraries and though it was a fun
and interesting challenge. Thusfar, she has come-up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Shuttl...#ht_500wt_1064

If that is the publication in question, she says she can do some
futher digging.

Huh, I have that very book down in my basement!

Does it happen to have the other items described by the OP?

Apparently not. And I'm not even sure where in the basement it is right
now.

But come to think of it, I bet THIS:
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Space-Din.../dp/0891041540 is the book
the OP means.

Just dawned on me, I have that too.

rick jones

--

OMG!!!!!!!!! Yessss!! That is it EXACTLY - thanks!!!!!

You're welcome. It took me a bit to remember I had it and then I had to
find it to confirm.

I think this is just about the only NG that would have been able to find
it!!

:-)