how technical is Einstein's book on relativity?

Old December 6th 06, 09:54 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Alan Dillard[_1_]

Default how technical is Einstein's book on relativity?

Looking for opinions from anyone who has read The Meaning of Relativity. I
collect books in fine bindings for my home library and found a very nice
copy of The Meaning of Relativity on eBay below, but was wondering if a
non-scientist would find it interesting. Or is it a bit too technical? If
it's an interesting read, I think I'll bid on it.

Old December 8th 06, 05:24 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
ke8yy

That's a very technical book- unless you know your tensor calculus you
may find yourself unable to follow the narrative. It's Einstein's
collected lectures on Relativity that he delievred when he came to
America, and was aimed at his fellow physicists.

Einstein did write a book aimed at the educated layman entitled
"Relativity: The Special and the General Theory ". My sister gave me a
copy when I was in the 9th grade, and just learning algebra, and I did
manage to make my way through it by the time I had a few more math
classes.

Old December 9th 06, 03:15 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
William Hamblen

On 8 Dec 2006 08:24:03 -0800, "ke8yy" wrote:

Alan Dillard wrote:
[...]

Easton Press is a current publisher of "decorative" books designed to
look good on the shelf. The editions published during Einstein's life
were from Princeton University Press and were in your average academic
publisher binding. The book has never gone out of print as far as I
know.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.