........Nasa/Griffin LYING about Public Support for Moon/Mars Mission!

Old September 28th 06, 04:20 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.station,alt.sci.planetary
jonathan

Default ........Nasa/Griffin LYING about Public Support for Moon/Mars Mission!

Gallup Organization issues unusual 'video rebuttal' to Griffin's
claim of public support for Moon/Mars missions.
.... link below

How many times have we heard Nasa and Griffin claim that
some 3/4ths of the public support going back to the
Moon and Mars?

They poll they quote was commissioned by the
Coalition for Space Exploration, which is a lobbyist
front for the following corporations.
http://www.spacecoalition.com/home.html

Member companies

ATK Thiokol
The Boeing Company
Lockheed Martin
Northrop Grumman
United Space Alliance
Space Foundation
Aerojet
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
California Space Authority
Delaware North Parks Services
Florida Space Authority
Hamilton Sundstrand
Honeywell
National Space Society
Moog
Pratt & Whitney
Raytheon

The USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll question they used follows.

In January 2004, a new plan or goal for space exploration was announced.
The plan includes a stepping-stone approach to return the space shuttle
to flight, complete assembly of the space station, build a replacement
for the shuttle, go back to the Moon, and then on to Mars and beyond.
If NASA's new budget did not exceed one percent of the federal
budget, to what extent would you support or oppose this new
plan for space exploration?
http://www.spacepolitics.com/archives/000597.html

To disagree with this statement, one would have to oppose
ever flying the shuttle again, oppose completing the ISS
oppose a shuttle replacement, support an 'all at once' approach
and support higher Nasa budgets.

It's difficult to imagine a more biased or loaded poll question.

Yet Griffin cites this poll to Congress.

"Recent and very specific public opinion surveys do in fact show a
broad consensus in support of our new goals in space. Assuming
that funding levels for NASA do not exceed one percent of the budget
- and we should be so fortunate - fully three-fourths of the American
people support the goals of the Vision.
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20...ffins_s_1.html

"Have you stopped beating your wife ...questions"
....Mike Griffin

In an rare rebuttal of Griffin's use of this biased poll, Gallup issued
this video reponse showing the true level of public support
for the Vision.
http://www.galluppoll.com/videoArchive/?ci=17596&pg=

I would have to agree with Griffin's statement in the video
that 'you can get almost any answer you like' with polls
in how they are worded. But it should be clear that it's Nasa
and Griffin that are playing the word game, and
loose with the truth.

To go from 75% support to 40% can't be called a generous
spin, it has to called what it is.

A bald faced lie.

Nasa still, a year later, quotes the original poll written by the
consortium that is pushing the Vision on the
American taxpayers.

If we can't trust Nasa to tell us the truth, they shouldn't
be trusted with our future, let alone our tax dollars.

Jonathan