Groundless Docking and Undocking

Old March 6th 11, 10:45 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Default Groundless Docking and Undocking

How close is ISS to being able to handle a visiting spacecraft's docking
and undocking without ground teams coaching?

(I recognize that the size of the ground team for Shuttle is a special
case, that won't change before retirement.)

/dps
Old March 7th 11, 06:41 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

"Jorge R. Frank" scribbled something like ...

With very limited telemetry from the visiting vehicle, and limited
training. ISS expeditions last six months and during that time the
visiting vehicle manifest can change dramatically.

Well, I guess that's a good reason for not doing the groundless procedure
yet. ;-)

Thanks again, Jorge.

/dps

Old April 26th 11, 11:05 AM
fljaweiu fljaweiu is offline
Junior Member

Location: Manhattan
Send a message via ICQ to fljaweiu

You are wrong completely. Google will not block 3rd party launchers. They actually encourage them in their store. The only thing they are trying to do is make the interface better so OEMs may have no reason to create their own interface but they will not block them.
Old July 17th 11, 07:03 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

My job is keeping datacenters running 24/7. This means often having a
person onsite to do some physical work (replacing equipment, etc.)

I learned long ago that having someone "remote' worked far better since they
can have a much better big picture of things. The people "on the ground" so
to speak have a very focused view. So while I'm sure in an emergency a
docking could happen, you'd want it to be in near perfect condition. By
involving the ground, you get more eyes on the problem.

Think of air traffic control. You can land a plan at an airport without
help from the tower (and that's done all the time) but for the bigger
planes, bigger airports, etc you really want tower support.

I suppose eventually "ground control" for docking may move to an orbital
facility, but that'll be when we have MUCH larger facilities in space.

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message

On 03/06/2011 08:12 PM, Snidely wrote:
Jeff scribbled something like ...

says...

How close is ISS to being able to handle a visiting spacecraft's
docking and undocking without ground teams coaching?

Even for completely automated rendezvous and docking, you would still
want to monitor it and have the ability to remotely abort in case
something unexpected happened. Automated systems don't often handle
the unexpected well, because if it really is unexpected, how could the
software developers account for it in the software they wrote?

But you've got people on site to monitor ...

Old July 18th 11, 08:15 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Perhaps it should be law that all vehicles have a compatible grapple fixture
so one could at least secure the craft while you were sorting out the fine
print, so to speak.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -