Choosing CCD

Old September 9th 09, 08:10 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
solstici

Default Choosing CCD

Hi,

I'm an visual observer with some experience. But now, I'm planning to
start CCD astronomy. I've two telescopes:

· My portable telescope is a Vixen Newton of 8" and 800mm focal lenght
(f4) over a Losmandy GM8 mount.
· My fixed telescope is a Meade LX200 of 14" and 3556mm focal lenght
(f10) over a Losmandy Titan mount with Gemini.

I've to choose between a SBIG-ST7 and a SBIG-ST8 (with autoguiding)
cameras. I want to use it in all my telescopes, assuming I need a
focal reducer for LX200. Mainly, I use for photometry, astrometry,
comet imaging and asteroid occultations of stars.

Which is the best camera for my preferences?

I need experienced users advices.

Advanced thanks for your help.

Solstici
Old September 9th 09, 08:33 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:10:48 -0700 (PDT), solstici
wrote:

I've to choose between a SBIG-ST7 and a SBIG-ST8 (with autoguiding)
cameras. I want to use it in all my telescopes, assuming I need a
focal reducer for LX200. Mainly, I use for photometry, astrometry,
comet imaging and asteroid occultations of stars.

Which is the best camera for my preferences?

The two cameras have essentially identical specifications, except for
the physical chip size. So it all comes down to looking at the focal
lengths you will be using each scope at, and the resulting FOVs. If the
targets you are interested in fit on an ST7, then that is certainly your
more economical choice. If not, you'll want to consider the ST8 instead.

For any of these applications, the ST10 is a somewhat better choice.
However, it comes with a larger price tag, as well.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com