how scientists use computers: follow-up

Old May 9th 09, 04:30 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.chem.electrochem,sci.chem.labware,sci.chem.analytical,sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Greg Wilson

Default how scientists use computers: follow-up

Thanks again to everyone who took part in our Fall 2008 survey of how
scientists use computers in their research. We will present a paper describing
our findings at ICSE'09 in Vancouver on May 23, and will make the results
public as soon after that as possible. There will also be an article in
"American Scientist" magazine discussing what you've told us some time this
summer.

Our next step is to figure out what makes some scientific computer users so
much more productive than others. We would therefore be grateful if you would
take a few minutes to answer the questions below and email the result to
:

A) If you think that you use computers more effectively in your work
than some of your peers:
a) explain why you think so
b) describe what you do or know that they don't

B) If you can think of someone in your research area who uses computers
more effectively in their work than you do:
a) explain why you think so
b) describe as best you can what they do or know that you don't

If you answered either question, we would be very grateful if you could pass
this email on to the colleague or colleagues you were thinking of and ask them
to answer it as well---we believe we will learn a great deal by comparing
anonymous, please ask them to return their response to you for forwarding to
us. Otherwise, please have them reply directly to us. (It would be very
helpful in the second case for them to mention your name, so that we can pair
their response with yours.)

As with the original survey, only the researchers directly involved in this
study will have access to respondents' contact information and/or identities.
This information will not be shared with any third party in any way.

Thanks in advance for your help---we hope you'll find the results useful.

Prof. Greg Wilson
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Toronto

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~gvwilson