Sorry Folks

Old June 26th 04, 10:13 AM
I.J Jordan

Default Sorry Folks

Hi Everyone

The current spate of bad weather over the country is my fault,Just got my new
"AWR Technologies" drive system fitted to my 'scope (Vixen GPDX) and am
waiting to field test it :-(

But on a serious note is anyone else using their system,and be willing to
comment on it as regards any problems (if any),and its guiding accuracy.In
other words any comments or experiences.

--
Please put out "TheFire" to reply via e-mail

Old June 26th 04, 09:35 PM
Chris.B

http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/
Old June 28th 04, 08:39 PM
Robert Williams

Hi there Chris,

I've had the use of an AWR/EQ6 system for about 6 months now.
The only 'major' problem I have encountered so far is that on one
cold night the RA axis drive seized solid.

Consulting AWR and with the help of a screwdriver I was able to locate the
problem -
the idler gear within the drive train from the stepper motor to the worm
drive had
a seized bearing. This was replaced free by AWR and following additional
consultation
with AWR, I checked the Dec axis and found it needed a slight adjustment.
A coat of fresh sewing machine oil on the gears to replace the original
grease and all seems to be OK.

The drive runs very smoothly even at highest setting (no 'screaming' as I
have discovered with a
totally different telescope under high speed slew.)

I haven't got to grips fully yet with the Intelligent Handset, but I'd like
to share your thoughts on that one,
if you have it fitted to your system.

Robert

"Chris.B" wrote in message
om...

. plus.net...

Old June 29th 04, 01:18 AM
Martin Frey

I.J Jordan wrote:

But on a serious note is anyone else using their system,and be willing to
comment on it as regards any problems (if any),and its guiding accuracy.In
other words any comments or experiences.

I find the AWR drives my EQ6 very well.

I got it mostly for the ability to slew. With a 125/1000mm refractor
or a 250 f4.8 newt, I can't reach the clutches on my EQ6 and look
throught the eyepiece, making alignment a real pain with the original
16x sidereal max rate on the EQ6.

It does scream a bit slewing and I wish it didn't. Seems to have
nothing to do with the load - it screams just as much under no load as
it does under a severely unbalanced heavy load.

I wish it didn't use so much power. A 10ah battery doesn't last very
long and the black box gets seriously hot. Her indoors got very cross
when I killed a third patch of grass with the black box on the ground
so I had to make a shelf for it to sit on. I wish I could make a robot
to carry my 55ah battery.

The intelligent handset is a handful - it takes a long time to get
used to pressing a different button to enter each of degrees, minutes
and seconds and in the cold and the dark an undo or cancel entry
button would be handier than having to start all over again. Having
borrowed a Meade, the handset was a pleasure to hold and the data
entry much more user friendly - with an undo for every stage.

I haven't quite forgiven it for giving me a heart attack when it
stubbornly refuse to work at all one day - turned out the cable
connecting the black box to the handset, with identical plugs on each
end only works one way. Quick on with the black tape to identify the
black box end - end of problem - but I don't call that in any way user
friendly.

And it is a hell of a lot of money. I'm glad I bought it - but I
wouldn't buy another one. Then, please god, I should never have to.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old June 29th 04, 09:51 AM
Chris.B

Martin Frey wrote in message . ..

And it is a hell of a lot of money. I'm glad I bought it - but I
wouldn't buy another one. Then, please god, I should never have to.

Sniff Great review Martin! sniff

(I think you've used up all your wishes)

sniff

Chris.B
Old June 29th 04, 02:31 PM
I.J Jordan

Hi it would seem once I get used to it I have a lot to look forward to.....
burning holes in mother-in-laws lawn,and waking the neighbours up whilst
slewing :-)

But I am quite pleased with the facilities it offers assuming I eventually
figure out the menu system,and I suppose (and am just guessing here) if I
change my mount I dont have to buy another Intelligent Handset and drive
box,just (fingers crossed) new motors and or gears.

IanJ

--
Please put out "TheFire" to reply via e-mail

Old June 30th 04, 09:04 AM
Alan

...... and the weekend won't be much better, 'cos thats when my moonfish 30mm
eyepiece will arrive. Still, I do have a bad back which might stop me being
able to get the scope outside, so maybe it won't count :-)

lus.net...

Old July 27th 04, 02:25 PM
I.J Jordan

Hi Robert

I haven't got to grips fully yet with the Intelligent Handset, but I'd like
to share your thoughts on that one,
if you have it fitted to your system.

I have really not had the chance as yet to sit down and work out the
intricacies of the "Intelligent Handset",I am still at the "how do I get to
the other menus to enter something" bit :-) but what I have seen and read
certainly leaves me impressed now I have got over the "will those small
motors move all that mass" concerns.

Not to run down the "Vixen" offering but I think for me I have made the right
choice.But will certainly keep an eye on those bearings for a while:thanks
for the headsup.

Your reply is appreciated

IanJ

--
Please put out "TheFire" to reply via e-mail