How to Mars ? ( people / robots... debate )

Old January 16th 04, 08:59 AM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

Dan DeConinck wrote:

Hello,

The cost of one manned mission to Mars ($400.00 B ) is equivalent to a
thousand robotic missions.( $0.40 B) We could put dozens of scientific
satellites in ordit around not only all our solar system's planets but also
all their major moons. In addition we could send dozens of landers to all
latitudes of all planets and their major moons. It doesn't stop there. We
could visit comets and astroids and even send spacecraft out of our solar
system. We could virtually touch every corner of our solar system and for
decades. The scientific payoff and discoveries dwarfs the alternative of a
single mission to a single location of a single planet for just a few
months.

Supporters of manned spaceflight like to argue that the astronaut is more
effective than a robot. Well even if this was true the astonaut would need
to be not twice as effect or ten times or one hundred times but rather a
thousand times as effective to just get the same value as the robot. Lets
concede that the astronaut is twice as effective as the robot. That makes
the robot a better choice by a factor of five hundred times. Would the Mars
pancam image be any better taken my an astronaut ?

The argument for the astronauts also claims that a human is needed in the
loop. That argument misses the point that with robots humans are in the
loop. Just look at JPL. They have hundreds of the worlds best researchers.
They are directly in the loop orchestrating the rovers activities. This is
called telepresence. Those researches are virtually on Mars. Also note how
JPL claims the rover cameras have 20/20 vision. This telepresence technology
is also on trial in the operating rooms of hospitals. Doctors are performing
surgery telerobotically from upto thousands of miles away from the patients.
The plain fact is that people are in the loop big time with the robots.

Now remember, I concede that the astronauts would be more effect than the
robots but the problem is that they would be marginally more effective for a
disproportionate cost to the tune of five hundred times less scientific
returns.

The manned mission supporters realize this lack of value so they cite the
spin off technologies that benefit mankind. This is a very hollow argument.
If you really value, for instance, the medical devices that emerge then it
is silly to not pursue them in a direct targeted way rather than spending
all your money visiting the moon and hoping that this will trickle down to
an improved pace maker. Furthermore much if not all of the spin of
technologies will inevitablly emerge on their own good timetable.

Please, lets touch and visit every corner of our solar system and for
decades rather than a single mission to a single location of a single planet
for a single moment in time.

Dan

nightbat

Dan, what you say is very scientifically sound, but then again
you're not the one trying to run for President for the second time.
Political realities are very different then scientific ones. You're
asking for practical fiscal agendas for long term space exploration
playback rather then short term imagination catching " hold the presses
" front rag covers that may just get you reelected, to control the purse
strings again for other important things. What good is fiscal
responsibility if the next guy wins and cuts all your so fiscal
responsible programs using your argument of just using JPL smart robots,
not inspiring, headline grabbing, astronauts? When running for Political
office, image plays a big part in getting elected to higher office. Look
at President Hoover, despite very prudent economic policies and all that
he positively accomplished, his term by people in general was considered
a dismal failure, because of millions of folks being placed out of work,
bread lines, factory closings, stock market collapse, you name it. He
didn't cause all of that, those effects were started long before he ever
got elected and assumed office, but got blamed just the same. Economic
conditions have a mind of their own, a time delineation, very much like
it takes a large boat miles to break or to make a change of heading to
avoid collision or alter and reverse direction ex... ( Unsinkable
Titanic ). If you are doing research in some laboratory trying to be
fiscally responsible with limited already allotted funds, yes, not if
your trying to get elected and basically helping everybody, and the next
political party guy is promising them, the people, the world. So what do
you do, ha, ha, promise them hopefully bigger and better Worlds.

Think about it, regards,
the nightbat

Old January 18th 04, 03:39 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Nightbat Right you are. Prof of that is giving senior citizens
free drugs. Once the electron is over,and at a press conference if a
reporter brings this up the president will never call for his question
ever again. This reporter is on the black list. Bert