Anti Midge cream - Does Avon work ? / What works better ?!

Old August 12th 03, 09:41 PM
Richard F.L.R. Snashall

Default Anti Midge cream - Does Avon work ? / What works better ?!

Shiperton Henethe wrote:

Hi

I am reliably informed that almost no midge creams
work very well with the possible exception of
"Avon beauty fluid/moisturiser" or something.

It might be under the name Avon "Skin-So-Soft".

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Old August 13th 03, 01:09 AM
Davoud

Shiperton Henethe:
I am reliably informed that almost no midge creams
work very well with the possible exception of
"Avon beauty fluid/moisturiser" or something.

*****

If you do a Google search for "AVON MYTH" you may save a few quid. Read
the independent studies, not the paid advertisements. The story that
Avon "Skin So Soft" is an insect repellant is simply untrue.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old August 13th 03, 05:15 AM
Craig MacDougal

"Davoud" wrote in message
If you do a Google search for "AVON MYTH" you may save a few quid. Read
the independent studies, not the paid advertisements. The story that
Avon "Skin So Soft" is an insect repellant is simply untrue.

Depends on how the study was run. I've seen independent studies that go both
ways.

In the interest of full discloser, I'll point out that my lovely wife has
sold Avon for about 20 years. Two observations from my vantage point:

Skin-So-Soft was originally a bath oil. It was the consumers that started
telling Avon that it repelled mosquitoes. Avon resisted promoting it as bug
repellant for years. (For one thing, here in the US, that's a whole
different level of FDA approval.)

From what I've seen, it appears to depend on your own body chemistry. It
works great for me even though the little buggers will hover 5cm from my
head (and ears) for hours on end which is almost as annoying as being
bitten. However, I have also seen it act literally as a mosquito attractant
for other people. This is probably why independent studies are all over the
map.

So, all I can say is it might work, and it might not. As somebody else said,
at least you'll smell nice. :-) Then give it to somebody that likes bath
oils.

I do know that it won't eat plastic like DEET.

Clear Skies,
Craig in Tampa

Old August 15th 03, 01:37 AM
Davoud

Davoud:
If you do a Google search for "AVON MYTH" you may save a few quid. Read
the independent studies, not the paid advertisements. The story that
Avon "Skin So Soft" is an insect repellant is simply untrue.

*****

Brian A:
Avon's effectiveness is definitely not a myth. It may be that it doesn't
work for everyone but it works very well for me. My wife and I have been
using it since long before Avon started making the claim. It's not quite as
effective as repellents with Deet but the less poison you spread on yourself
the better. I will say that one of the only times I don't use it is when
viewing because it is too oily. Want to keep those EPs clean!

*****

I should have made it clear that I wasn't referring to Avon's product
"Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535," the efficacy of which is unknown
to me. Avon developed this product in response to the myth that
"Skin-So-Soft Original Moisturizing Bath Oil" was an effective insect
repellent. Avon did not themselves make that claim; to the best of my
knowledge, it originated in the U.S. Marine Corps, of all places.
Independent tests showed that "Skin-So-Soft Original Moisturizing Bath
Oil" had no ability to repel insects, but the myth persisted, as myths
will, so Avon capitalized on it in an honest way; they came out with an
insect repellent to which they attached the name "Skin-So-Soft," but it
shares only part of its name with the original product.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old August 15th 03, 03:07 AM
Shiperton Henethe

"Brian A" wrote in message

"Davoud" wrote in message
Davoud:
[...]

Not trying to start a war here Davoud but Avon Skin-So-Soft Moisturizing

Oil
is just what I'm talking about. Heard the rumor years ago and discovered

it
worked well for me. It wasn't until several years later that Avon started
marketing the "Bug Guard" version.

Before this goes any further
are you guys talking about the West Highland midge?

Ship